Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulling garlic mustard at SB

Default pulling garlic mustard at SB

this article was in Monday's QCTimes-is anyone interested?

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2009...b716900526.txt

That's interesting. I've got it on the calendar. I see there is a hogdog / s'mores picnic at Black Hawk State Park, but perhaps we consider doing the garlic mustard plant pull followed by a ride (if the ground is viable) and cookout of our own in the SBP parking lot (weather permitting).
    I wanna ride!

Fantastic idea! Team FORC is going to win this garlic mustard pulling competition!

I like the comments...especially the one about how the whole area should just be TORCHED.

I bet he hasn't got off the couch in years...

Somewhere between over the handlebars and the nearest brewpub

I have scheduled a "Make It Yours" cleanup for that day at Sunderbruch..We can pick up trash while we are pulling garlic mustard and fulfill one of our two cleanup commitments. Hot dogs and cool malt beverages after...... sounds like a plan to me.
    SPLASH
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now that we have the Stampede under our belts, time to look forward to our next event... the Garlic Mustard Challenge, Saturday, April 25, 2009. Because many of us have a wedding reception to attend the evening of April 25th, there will not be an official cook out as originally discussed. Here's the game plan:

Meet at Sunderbruch Park at 8:45 AM and plan to be on the trails by 9 AM pulling the Garlic Mustard. Bring large garbage bags to bag the Garlic Mustard. The bagged Garlic Mustard weeds will be picked up by the city and taken to the landfill. The Garlic Mustard pull will be 3 hours long from 9 AM - Noon and a bike ride will follow. A little work each year aimed toward erradicating these invasive plants is better than no effort! Hope to see you Saturday!
    I wanna ride!

Default Sat SBP Garlic Mustard Pull

Davenport Parks called and was requesting a guess as to how many FORCER's would be there Sat morning. If you know you can make it, post up here by noon Wed.

Thanks,

Mark

Somewhere between over the handlebars and the nearest brewpub

Karen and I are in.
    SPLASH
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default reviving an ancient ritual

I've talked with a few folks who are not keen on the idea of putting the garlic mustard in plastic bags and sending them to the landfill. It sounds awful, but from what I've read, the seeds can withstand the heat of a compost pile, and then sprout.

Forcmeister mentioned that he had seen recipes containing garlic mustard. This got me thinking...wasn't it the Aztecs who ate their victims after the battle? We could do the same thing! I found a couple of websites with some recipes.

http://www.fosc.org/GM-Recipe.htm
    http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla...20Mustard.html

on garlic mustard in general
    http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/alpe1.htm

John and I will be there. I wondered about the weeds going to the landfill and I figured those in the know must know what they're talking about.
    I wanna ride!

MP & I will be there. 8:45 am on a weekend! Doesn't anybody sleep in this club!!
    I know for sure that Garlic Mustard remains sprouted well past 10 or 11 am.
    Oh well, this means we can start drinking early.
    peace
    db

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

I'll be there, Poofy has to see how the homework situation is before she commits.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I believe Rick and I will be there. What is the plan if it rains? Will we have as much fun as the racers did this past weekend?

Momma Joan

I may be there. Doc's may induce mama tomorrow but they're not entirely sure. *If* they do, that means I take a week off of work and should be able to be there Saturday morning! :banana:

Lynne and I will be there and will bring some short people to help us out as well provided the weather is reasonable. Just need someone to show me what this plant looks like.

DB / MP, didn't you get the memo? Garlic mustard is most prominent from 8:45 to 11 AM on Saturdays. ;)

Karen / Scot, it'll just be me for the weed detail. John has to work Saturday morning.
    I wanna ride!

Hey Bex, that may be true about the mustard but good beer is prominent between 8:45 - 11:00 PM on Friday! Hey but if I'm crawling on all fours I will be closer to the plants. Always look on the bright side eh?
    db

Default Plan B

Quote Originally Posted by mommajw5 View Post
    I believe Rick and I will be there. What is the plan if it rains? Will we have as much fun as the racers did this past weekend?

Momma Joan
    If it is pouring rain, we will convert Kickapoo Out into a giant mud slide and use the creek as the splash pool.

i'll be there and i like the idea of the big mudslide at the end..............woooo hoooooo hoooooooo
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Board Position
    President

Planning on it
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Andoman View Post
    Lynne and I will be there and will bring some short people to help us out as well provided the weather is reasonable. Just need someone to show me what this plant looks like.
    there are some pics on garlic mustard here
    http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/alpe1.htm

Default extra shoes

according to an article in the QCTimes today, we are supposed to bring an extra pair of shoes to change into, and a plastic bag to take the muddy ones home in, to eliminate transporting any seeds.

Yea kiks I saw that too. I think they actually want you to throw away the shoes you wear. Another option is to pull a bag over your shoes and tape or rubber band them. Then you can toss out the bags and save the shoes. Just a thought.
    db

Board Position
    President

Think I'll go bare foot
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Default bare feet only

Scot says as long as that is the only thing that you have bare! :eek: