Thread: pump track???

1. Default pump track???

i was wondering what the general opinion of pump tracks is? Pump tracks are great skill builders, tons of fun, and safe! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fofuwA2iOfE here's a link of a guy riding a pump track, to save some description, if you don't know what they are. I think we should have one here! from what i've read and seen on videos like this, pump tracks can be built in small areas, such as backyards, but good ones usually take up about 60' square, still pretty small. I'm not very familiar with the rules of trailbuilding at sunderbruch, but it seems like there would be space for one there if building one is allowed. i think this cycling community needs a good pump track. what do you guys think?

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Pump tracks are awesome, but dirt pumps can be a nightmare to maintain and that's why even large clubs may not have an actual track in their system. Even with the practice of using a mix of clay and kitty litter/sac crete to get them hard enough to hold their form and not wash out, they still don't hold their form well and working to keep proper drainage in the valleys can be a never ending battle.

That doesn't mean we couldn't put in a few pumps someplace to experiment and get the parks used to the idea, just sayin.

Right now- Sunder (just like the other parks) has a load of worked planned to get it ready for the Midwest fest. I'd love to see a good pump track/ jump section at one of our local parks, too- but it would require a seperate proposal, track and pump/jump layout and height length dimensions, memorandum of understanding acceptance and local BMX education and commitment.

We have to follow our the accepted proposals as much as possible, we can't just go out and build anything in the parks- we don't own them- and I'm not aware of a pump track in any of our current agreements. Strict adherance to this is one of the reasons FORC has gotten permission from 4 parks!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

At one point I heard the friends of Bettendorf parks of the Bettendorf city parks program mention something like this. I tried to do a quick search but no luck. I sent these folks an email a year or so ago suggesting such a project. I never recieved a response or put more time into it.

http://www.friendsofbettendorfparks.com/node/5

I think it would be awesome to have such a facility.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

the idea of a pump track is awesome

building a pump track requires lots of $$$ and time

maintaining a pump track would be a nightmare

but, that doesn't mean we rule it out as a possibility in the future ;-)
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

maintaining a pump track would be a nightmare
    public use would turn to un-sculpted mounds of dirt quickly. (winter park's pump track turned to junk over the course of 6 months, people at the end of the season were complaining) people rolling over and off berms, casing pumps, falling, overall damage in general. also will need a water source and do it without tarps to protect from weather.... i would have to agree, nightmare.

private use wouldnt be so bad (at least I keep telling myself that). still a ton of work no matter how you justify it.

*Wrote the above before I built my own pump track* Now, I would still have to agree to some extent. They need a water source and are a metric butt load of work. However, with the right dirt it does appear that the shape can be retained for longer periods than first anticipated. After visiting Valmont for a second time the amount of work shouldnt matter, the fun factor always comes out on top. i didnt see one person not having fun. A public pump track (that morphs into a skills park) would be awesome to pull off. I wish i had a larger backyard...

Anyway, I posted this to invite you all to my backyard pump track brawl. Saturday Oct 1st after 1pm, Iowa City (PM for address). I have an 'L' shaped pump track and might setup a skinny or two. nothing crazy but it is good fun that easily shows what is possible with a small space and a shovel. This is open to everyone, on any bike, at any level of sobriety. bring your own food/beer.

Quote Originally Posted by dl1030 View Post
    Anyway, I posted this to invite you all to my backyard pump track brawl. Saturday Oct 1st after 1pm, Iowa City (PM for address). I have an 'L' shaped pump track and might setup a skinny or two. nothing crazy but it is good fun that easily shows what is possible with a small space and a shovel. This is open to everyone, on any bike, at any level of sobriety. bring your own food/beer.
    Thanks Dave!
    I wanna ride!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Dave- Thanks for the invite- me and poof will def be out, prolly ride sugar before heading your way.

Also- a metric buttload is what? 7/10ths of a standard buttload? Hmmmm...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.