Thread: Chestnut MT. Galena IL has MT bike lift service on the weekends all summer for $8.00

Default Chestnut MT. Galena IL has MT bike lift service on the weekends all summer for $8.00

Chestnut mountain Galena IL has lift service on the weekend weather permitting. Lift tickets are $8.00 for bikes and $30.00 for the luge run.It's under new ownership and they don't have anyone maintaining the trails yet. I bet they would welcome a bike club or sanctioned body to make and maintain the trails.

oh how sweet ass would that be.......
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

This has nothing but a good idea written all over it. $8 for some down hill action. count me in. I'd even do some weekend work trips to get the trails made.

how do we start the tire rolling with those folks?

yes that is a groaner foul on the pun

back in the day cactus cup held a race up there and there were some sweet trails.This would really be nice to see happen

Quote Originally Posted by DMikeT View Post
    how do we start the tire rolling with those folks?
    I think the best way is to hook up with a local club as it's too far away from the QC for FORC to have a realistic chance of proper support. I would include the Chain Reaction folks in Dubuque as well as the GOATS club in Galena. GOATS is already sponsored by Chestnut Mtn, so they may already have a good connection. AG is tight with CR, not sure who may know someone in GOATS. If you're interested, give 'em a holla!

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

I talked with Chestnut Mt. and we discussed their position on lift assisted downhill biking. They are all for bikes on their chair lifts. They will have one lift open on the weekends working double duty for bikes and their alpine slide. Bike lift ticket are $8.00 and if you want to use the alpine slide it $30.00 for the slide. If you go for the slide that same lift ticket will work for the biking as well. As for biking they will have two fast single track trials open and some service roads. They do have more single track but it’s over grown and hard to find. If you do venture off be careful there are unmarked cliffs.

The history is that Chestnut back in the 90’s had a downhill program with some races and events. They made the investment to convert the lifts for bikes and all was good. As time went on the guys that were running the program moved on so the program suffered and interest was lost.

Chestnut would love to accommodate bikers and would be open to adding more trails but they need a show of interests. The more bikers the more interests the more trails and hopefully maybe a feature or a stunt. Chestnut would also be more than happy to accommodate a bike race or event. Please call or Email Chestnut to keep downhill on their mind. (800) 798-0098 info@chestnutmtn.com

Chestnut offered to have whoever is of interest and my self to come meet and they will show us the property. At that time I would like to propose a trail maintenance program collaborated with all the surrounding bike clubs. I strongly believe in built for the riders by the riders. Having a life assisted downhill play ground a couple of hours from are homes would be a great step forward for mountain biking in the Midwest. The best part about lift assisted mountain biking is going down.

I will let you all know the date to meet Chestnut so we can make this happen.

Thanks
    Degrasse,

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Quote Originally Posted by degrasse View Post
    The best part about lift assisted mountain biking is going down.
    YA MON! Nobody shuttles to the bottom of the hill!

I wouldn't be able to help out much, but I'd make the trip to use the facilities FO SHO!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I watched someone race a mtn bike race at Chestnut back around 1994(ish) and the report on the race was that it was fun (especially the singletrack on top of the hill) but the course also went down the hill (that part was reportedly fun), but the course also lead racers back UP the hill and that part was brutal. A chair lift up sounds like a plan!
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Vice President

did you know... they have snow there in the winter! and you can wear these things called skiss and slide down the hill!
    id think that would be fun. i am gonna go this weekend

What ever happened with this? I've been watching some sweet down hill videos today and it got me thinking that this might be something fun to do...

anyone have an update? I called their 800 number and they said they have trails but they are not part of the hill or lift assist (and the lady had no idea if or when it would happen). Web site has a stock photo of a bike however it is not a DH ready bike, rigid fork = broken wrists.

Please oh please give me some downhill action!

I will take a week of vacation from work to help build trails. that is how bad I want to see this open. Sleep in the jeep, build trails in the morning, ride in the afternoon. that is a sweet vacation imo.