Thread: RSS feeds

1. Default RSS feeds

Does the forum have the ability to add ALL the posts to the RSS feed instead of just the 1st post in any thread?

Can you give me an example? If I'm understanding you correctly, I'm not sure why you would want to do that since RSS is really designed to provide headlines. Is there a specific function you are trying to accomplish with it?

3. Default

RSS is not simply for headlines. RSS can feed whole stories and pictures just as easily as it feeds a headline and synopsis. The only option now to see if there are updates to threads is to go to the thread and manually add it so you get an email. OR Try to remember all the missing bits since you didn't check it since before Thanksgiving. RSS readers give the ability to create a virtual newspaper of new headlines and any follow-ups without multiple trips of a web browser testing my already piss poor memory. RSS is an application of "opting in" to a push technology and formatting the information the way they want to see it in their program of choice.

I use it on the LAMBA forum. My RSS reader updates when it sees a new post. That allows me to see slightly more real time updates without having to go click on every saved Bookmark. It also helps me be the first to see when a spammer sneaks in and posts all sorts of raunchy stuff that is off topic. As opposed to the raunchy stuff that is on topic. :) That's just from an admin perspective. We use phpBB and I know there are lots of options for the RSS feeds. I didn't know if vBulletin had similar options that were fairly easy to enable or not.
    Last edited by noyzsource; 01-13-2011 at 11:07 PM.

I was primarily referring to a forum setting, RSS is more of a headline provider (at least in my opinion). If it was a blog, I could see delivering all the content the site has to offer in a full feed, but in a forum the purpose is to get people on the site participating. I have built and ran several websites (forums) over the years, the largest having 112,000 members and about 10.5 million posts, and have found this to be true almost across the board.

To answer your original question though: I don't believe vBulletin allows for all content to be delivered via RSS out of the box (at least not the FORUM...possibly the blog, probably for the reasons I've already mentioned). I'm sure it's not hard to modify, but that's not something I'm really interested in doing.