Quote Originally Posted by iLuvTechnical View Post
dru_b,
I went through 2 sets of Crank Brothers (broke the weld on the beater) in two seasons and they pretty much ruined my old shoes b/c my fat butt put so much weight on the 2 "beater contact areas" causing grooves in the bottom of my shoes. Eventually, I couldn't stay clipped-in.
They do tend to leave grooves, but if you use the shims and replace them before it gets to the sole they work fine. I just got sick of going for an attack on a hill, standing to hit it hard, and the damn SPD would pop out. That's a big deal breaker in a race. It's never happened with my eggbeaters which is reason enough for me to not ever use SPD's again. To each there own though. Never used Specialized or Shimano shoes. Seen a lot of racers with Specialized shoes though and they look like good quality shows. I had some Lake shoes. I loved how comfortable they where, but I broke the sole on them (guess I was too powerful for them). I broke the soles on a few other shows before I finally got frustrated and bought my Sidi's. After thousands of miles my Sidi's are still going strong, and are very comfortable as well.