Quote Originally Posted by iLuvTechnical View Post
dru_b,
What pedals do you have?
The pedals sometimes make ALL the difference! I had a cheap pair of SPD's and they contributed to me not liking my shoes for awhile. Once I got a pair of XT pedals, my shoes felt great and I liked how both performed. I like my SPD pedals coupled with my Shimano M086 better than my Crank Brothers pedals. (review...http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...shoes-10-39646 I agree w/ this review.)
I went through 2 sets of Crank Brothers (broke the weld on the beater) in two seasons and they pretty much ruined my old shoes b/c my fat butt put so much weight on the 2 "beater contact areas" causing grooves in the bottom of my shoes. Eventually, I couldn't stay clipped-in.
I bought the new Shimano's and cheap SPD pedals, discovered I needed XT pedals, and have been happy ever since.

My 2 cents.
I have the M087 shoes and love them. I only clip in on the road though. When I'm on trails I'm unclipped because I'm not very good yet. Thankfully the pedals I bought are both clipless and platforms (Shimano M424s)
The shoes have decent tread for walking, which I do a lot of and mostly uphill. They also dry pretty quickly, which is an added bonus.