Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the great shoe debate

Default the great shoe debate

pretty sure i tried this before with not so much luck but im going to try it again anyhow.....

SHOES

whatcha wearin, how long ya been wearin em, and why do ya wear em? (pros/cons of the shoe are greatly appreciated) do they fit well, run true to size, gimmie a review of your shoe.

i am searching for the next perfect shoe for me. i want a xc style race shoe thats not really to expensive but is well fitting and stiff but walkable.... i have tried the shimanos, bontrager, louis garneau, answer, and maybe others. i have to go around and try them all again due to the fact that the shoe i thought i had decided on didn't fit "just right". i am heading to try on some specialized this week hopefully and am really interested in a pair of mavic razors. PLEASE CHIME IN WITH YOUR BITS O' INFORMATION AND HELP A BROTHA OUT......
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Specialized s-works. I have the road and MTB version and they're the most comfortable shoes ever. No, not cheap but the dogs are happy and i think they're worth every penny. They're are usually quite a few on eBay if you're into that.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...uctDescription (Shimano M086 MTB SPD at the top of the link page. don't know why it links toward the bottom)
    Got these last year. Love them! They fit great around my suuuuuper fat foot. For the money, I didn't find anything else w/ the same level of quality. All the other ratchet-style shoes where at the $100 + range. They are nice and stiff w/out the price of carbon.

Good luck.
    Last edited by iLuvTechnical; 12-27-2010 at 11:44 PM.
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

Board Position
    Vice President

sidi the cheep 140 dollar ones! they are tuff, classic, black, and have plastic tread, oh and sidi only makes shoes and boots

I have worn shoes by Specialized, Shimano and currently Sidi. The Sidis have held up far better than any of my other shoes which is saying something because I have ridden far more with the Sidi's than the other two combined. I LOVE THEM! Great fit, durable, and look great. :)
    I wanna ride!

I own 2 pair of MTB shoes, both Shimano.

One is an "all terrain" shoe that I got when I first got into MTB.

the other has a carbon-fiber reinforced sole - SHM225S. I've been wearing these for 3 years (I think)...they're pretty ragged now but have held up rather well.

I haven't had any problems with either pair...but...that doesn't mean I haven't been looking for a new pair...OOOO! Somethin shiney!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I've heard good things about Specialized shoes, though I've never tried them. Lake makes some pretty comfortable shoes. I've had a few different brands of shoes that were on clearance/sell. The same results happened over and over, broken soles. I finally got fed up and bought some Sidi Dominator 5's. I've beat the heck out of this and they are still in terrific shape. They are pricey though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Vans.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Echoing the cheap Velcro fastened Sidis. I have two pairs, roadie (3 yrs) and MTB (2 yrs), and they are still intact and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by DH001 View Post
    Echoing the cheap Velcro fastened Sidis. I have two pairs, roadie (3 yrs) and MTB (2 yrs), and they are still intact and comfortable.
    I wouldn't say cheap. Same great shoe, just without the ratchet, and it's debatable just how much efficiency you are actually gaining from it. On sale: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Mtb+Shoe.aspx

Sidi Dominators, had them about 9 years. Have replaced the buckles and straps a couple times but other than that they have never let me down.

Yup, the ones I have are the Sidi Dominator 5. LOVE 'EM!
    I wanna ride!

my sidis were comfortable
    my specialized fit better
    but my favorite is my pearl izumi with the boa lacing system and carbon sole
    best fit and stiffest sole
    i got mine at the pearl izumi outlet in aurora il
    boa steel cable lacing system is way better than racketing straps and velcro

Can I get some thoughts on these? I'm easing into clipless and want some ... um ... training-wheel shoes.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1084202_-1___

Those look like they would work great for triathlons, but for a primary mountain bike shoe I'd stick to the standard 3 strip setup. They hold the foot in better. If you are able to run with them then the sole isn't that stiff which defeats the purpose of a cycling shoe in my opinion. The sole should be stiff to gain efficiency. The real question is what kind of clipless setup to get...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    The real question is what kind of clipless setup to get...
    I'm open for suggestions.

Probably SPD and I want shoes that will get me by on both my mtb and road bikes. I'm not hardcore on either nor am I educated enough to notice the subtle differences of fancy stuff.

no need to be hardcore to enjoy the benefits of a system that works with both your road and mtb bikes, and it doesn't need to be fancy either.

I started out with SPDs and after too many "I can't clip out!" incidents, I switched to crank bros egg beaters. some people have had their issues with these pedals but they have worked flawlessly for me, and I use them on all of my bikes. no more switching out pedals and/or shoes to match the bike I want to ride for that day.

I would say that clipless systems are personal preference, but there are pros/cons to each. for me, I like the simplicity of the egg beaters - 4 entry points, shed mud easily, simple to clip out - and reliable - I don't come unclipped when going through a nasty rock garden or when I'm getting bounced around on a techy descent. The down side is they don't have much of a platform to stand on so a good shoe with a stiff sole becomes pretty important. Which is why crank bros has the candy and other pedals with the egg beater "system" but with a platform.

Also, people have had issues with the spindles busting and nagging creaking among other problems...

that said, I have 4 sets of these pedals and haven't had a single problem.

Your mileage may vary ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by orange guy View Post
    Can I get some thoughts on these? I'm easing into clipless and want some ... um ... training-wheel shoes.
    I think those shoes would be a fine pick for use on both road and mtn bike. Pearl makes quality stuff, and you'll appreciate the flexibility of these shoes - compatibility with both bikes as well as walk-around comfort. Don't be swayed by racer-boy, you'll have plenty of opportunity to get stiff sole shoes in the future if you desire...

And no worries on pedal type either: any SPD type will suit you well to begin with, and you can find most styles for a decent price.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Don't be swayed by racer-boy

Thanks for the replies. After reading a lot on here, reading a lot of reviews on retail sites and talking with some bike shop people, I've come to the conclusion that nobody agrees on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by orange guy View Post
    Thanks for the replies. After reading a lot on here, reading a lot of reviews on retail sites and talking with some bike shop people, I've come to the conclusion that nobody agrees on anything.
    hahahaha! that's classic! and 100% true...this sport is all about what works best *FOR YOU*

Oh, to have an unlimited budget and try it all.

well, there is a really strong market for slightly used parts too...

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    hahahaha! that's classic! and 100% true...this sport is all about what works best *FOR YOU*
    Yep, the only true answer.

Oh, to have an unlimited budget and try it all.
    I'm wiling to bet that someone has some used clipless pedals they could sell you for cheap so at least that won't break the bank. And I'm willing to bet they are SPD since they finally got fed up and bought some Crank Bros Eggbeaters! (I'm with jimithng)

Don't be swayed by racer-boy, you'll have plenty of opportunity to get stiff sole shoes in the future if you desire...
    Yes, yes I am. Don't be a hater!