Thread: Bike Help

Default Bike Help

I need some help, advise, someones 2 cents whatever you might call it. I bought a bike for my 16 year old son last year used. It was a single speed "dirt jump" bike. He likes it alot but you definately get what you pay for. Quite a few repairs later it is good working order and he enjoys it. However he has discovered cross country MTB racing and his dirt jump bike doesn't cut it. For Xmas I would like to buy him a new bike that might suit him better for racing. I am not looking to break the bank as he is 16 years old doesn't need a 5000 race bike. So does anyone have any opinions, advise, or whatever else on waht brand or specific bike would be a good entry level bike? I would like to stay under 1000 for a hardtail bike. Thanks

bikesdirect.com has very good prices and their customer service is fantastic. I bought my bike there and love it.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

You can get some really good deals at the local bike shops this time of year, and a grand for a hardtail (and a hardtail is fine for this area's terrain) will get him a really good bike to start with.

Since he sounds like the kind of kid that will need some repairs now and then (boy does he fit in with this crowd!) I'd suggest this to help him get started on a relationship with a local bike shop- cause it can be SOOO helpful in the long run!!

Pick the 2 or 3 bike shops that are closest to you and go talk to them about what you want. If he's not going with you because it's a "surprise" for christmas morning, you should be able to answer at least the following questions:

How tall is he?

How much does he weigh?

26er or 29er?

gearing setup- singlespeed, 1x9, 2x9, 3x10, etc?

Also- (if it's a surprise) how they would feel if you bought him a $900.00 29er 1x10 and he wanted to exchange it 3 days after christmas with 0 miles on it for a $700 26 inch 3x9 setup or somehting else that they have in stock. This way he gets to light up on Christmas morning but if it's not EXACTLY what he had in mind, he can go get what he wants.

I think you'll find most shops in this area are pretty cool about this kind of thing. The shops in this area all kind of have a different "feel" about them, some are very race oriented and some are pretty laid back, so while your looking at bikes, also think about the people and the vibe that you are dealing with, as in, is this a place where we'd feel comportable coming back in later and asking questions about upgrades etc. While the shops are all very cool in their own way, some people are more comfortable with one shop than another and you should at least give this some consideration. You want to buy from a shop that you are comfortable with!

While most of us that ride all the time do some shopping on line, we also do a LOT of buying at the local bike shops because they are pretty much on an even cost when you add in shipping and as a bonus you can go talk to the doods for advice on upgrades and repairs. If he's going to ride a lot, then he'll be glad he started working with a local bike shop!! (As an great example, no one in this area carries the brand of bike I plan on buying next, but I asked my local bike shop to check into it, and they talked to the factory and can get it for me for the same price as online, and I don't have to pay 100.00 for shipping! Sincerely, sometimes working with the LBS's is absolutely the way to go!)
    Last edited by Vibrato; 11-29-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Although you can save money by buying from an online bike store like bikesdirect.com, I would stick to a local bike shop instead just in case any warranty issues (like a broken bike frame) comes up. Although the brand of the bike should play a role in what you buy, a lot of it is the components it has. Also, you will need to decide between a 26 inch hardtail of a 29 inch (this is the size of the wheel). The racing community is seeing more and more 29ers if that helps at all. I'd go look around at the local bike shops and see what you can get for just under $1000 to start out. The bike fitting him is by far the most important thing. I wouldn't buy a bike that he will "grow into". Buy the size that fits him right for the height that he is now. It's easier to ride a bike that is a little to small then it is to try to ride one that is too big.
    Last edited by Gunchie; 11-29-2010 at 10:50 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ray, really busy at work today, huh?

SSS
    I bought about a $600.00 bike thinking of general mtb riding and turned to racing shortly after. I have since replaced almost every part on that bike, and May 2011 it will be two years old. Racing is really hard on a bike with low end pieces and parts. I may be a lot harder on my bike than your kid may be on his, but ask about components.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Agreed with the other guys, if you are not able to do the work (I don't let the LBS work on any of my bikes, don't trust anyone to do it right but me, and I generally am not that great of a rider and crash a ton so being able to fix things myself is important anyway) or research yourself (bike fitting for example and knowing how bike geometry relates to your body and riding style), LBS is the way to go. Also, I spent a few months doing research before I bought a bike. BTW, bikesdirect.com have replaced my cassette (broken tooth), sent me two sets of rotor/pads for the brakes, and did not charge tax or shipping on the warranty shipping or the bike purchase, although you are required to file the tax on your tax returns. I also do frequent the LBS (I like the guys at Healthy Habits, Bettendorf best in the QCA) for stuff I can get cheaper, no shipping charges, than online or just those gotta have it now purchases.

Both online and LBS have their advantages and disadvantages, for me online got me a bike whose equiv would have been a fortune otherwise.

And, no matter what bike you get him, once he gets into this sport, he will want to change it and upgrade it anyway. Just getting him a good base bike to start that will not throw him off the sport is the most important thing. I had a friend when I live in Tulsa who bought a 500$ Haro to bike in rocky/very technical terrain (Turkey Mountain) and it broke down so often, he quit for good before he could even learn to love it.
    Last edited by iowacutter; 11-29-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: edit

Yep, racing is pretty tough on a bike. Personally, I wouldn't buy a bike a bike unless the fork was the brand "FOX", or the brand "Rock Shock" and the model is "Reba". The rest of the components are normally pretty good if it has either of those forks on it. But, if your going to buy your son a bike that nice you better know that he's going to us it A LOT. And remember, it's A LOT CHEAPER to get a good bike up front then to upgrade it later.
    Last edited by Gunchie; 11-29-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SSS View Post
    So does anyone have any opinions, advise, or whatever else on waht brand or specific bike would be a good entry level bike? I would like to stay under 1000 for a hardtail bike. Thanks
    The replies you've received are spot on...hopefully I can add to that pertaining to brands and type.

Brands are like Chevy vs. Ford - as long as you're in a local bike shop, you're gonna get a decent bike regardless of brand.

Good entry-level 29" hardtail from Specialized:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

A 29" hardtail from Giant:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/7366/44092/

You can find Specialized at Healthy Habits in Bettendorf and Giant at Bike & Hike in Rock Island. Both shops are knowledgable and very helpful.

I'm in the school that the 29" hardtail may be the best machine for the trails in our area. However, this is nearly as much personal preference as anything so do some research on your own to help you decide what would work best for your son.

Like most have said before me, upgrades with bikes are nearly endless - in possibilities and cost - so spending a bit more up front can go a long way.

Good luck and way to make your son's Christmas morning an awesome one!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

The 26 inch/29inch debate goes on and on. In the spirit of good natured ribbing I'd point out that Lance, Wiens, Endover and Lopes all still ride 26ers, but they're probably riding to fast to know they're not cool.

If your boy likes to do what is becoming "Cross Country Free Ride" (The Old Coot, Dirt Rag December) and he's used to a more compact bike, like a BMX or a dirt jumper, he may feel more comfortable on a 26er right away, although if he tests out a couple of 29ers and they fit his riding style, he should definately consider one.

If the bike isn't a surprise, have him test ride both wheel sizes to see what HE likes best!

Lots of good info on this thread, I hope it helps. Also- Gunchies advice on a fork- Fox or a Reba- there are other good ones but you can't go wrong with these!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    The 26 inch/29inch debate goes on and on. In the spirit of good natured ribbing I'd point out that Lance, Wiens, Endover and Lopes all still ride 26ers, but they're probably riding to fast to know they're not cool.
    Wiens is the only one that i know of that rides a 26 hardtail... other then the great Gunchie that is. Most ride a 26er full suspension or 29er hardtail.

If your boy likes to do what is becoming "Cross Country Free Ride" (The Old Coot, Dirt Rag December) and he's used to a more compact bike, like a BMX or a dirt jumper, he may feel more comfortable on a 26er right away, although if he tests out a couple of 29ers and they fit his riding style, he should definately consider one.
    Agreed. The transition from a dirt jumper to a 26 XC would feel the most comfortable for him. I race a 26 hardtail myself so I can't be a hater.

Lots of good info on this thread, I hope it helps. Also- Gunchies advice on a fork- Fox or a Reba- there are other good ones but you can't go wrong with these!
    Yep, lots of great forks on the market, but for most main stream bikes these are the two most popular. Like I said, if the bike has either of these forks then the rest of the components are usually higher end as well.

From the sidelines, I'm loving this thread. I'm working my way to two bikes (one road, on off) and hope to buy from B&H within the month. I started thinking about this in August and I'm still wrestling with what to get ... 26er, 29er, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by orange guy View Post
    from the sidelines, i'm loving this thread. I'm working my way to two bikes (one road, on off) and hope to buy from b&h within the month. I started thinking about this in august and i'm still wrestling with what to get ... 26er, 29er, etc.
    why choose, get both!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    why choose, get both!!!
    SOLVED! Thread Ended.

Man, I'm pushing it buying 2 bikes. 3 and I'd need to buy a house to live in as well.

Default Thanks

I just wanted to take the time to thank all that posted and the advise and ideas everyone gave. The reason this club is so great is because of all the great people! Thank you!!!

I agree with everyone and the 29er and 26er debate will go on for some time. I personally ride a 29er and love it. However my son I alos agree what coming from a BMX and dirtjump bike I think feels more comfortable on a 26er. As much as I want to surprise him I think its best to get him to some bike shops and see what he likes. The online deals are good and believe me I like saving some extra $$ but getting a proper fitting bike plus building a relationship with a local LBS plus supporting the local LBS is the right way to go. Again thanks everyone for you opinions and advise I really appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by SSS View Post
    I just wanted to take the time to thank all that posted and the advise and ideas everyone gave. The reason this club is so great is because of all the great people! Thank you!!!

I agree with everyone and the 29er and 26er debate will go on for some time. I personally ride a 29er and love it. However my son I alos agree what coming from a BMX and dirtjump bike I think feels more comfortable on a 26er. As much as I want to surprise him I think its best to get him to some bike shops and see what he likes. The online deals are good and believe me I like saving some extra $$ but getting a proper fitting bike plus building a relationship with a local LBS plus supporting the local LBS is the right way to go. Again thanks everyone for you opinions and advise I really appreciate it
    glad to hear you've got it pretty much figured out.

be sure to post a pic of your boy's new rig when you get it!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."