Thread: new trail

Default new trail

I was out walking the island last week and saw a huge railroad tie that must be incorpoarted into our trail system. So I started looking into it and found a good route, but most of this area is really soft. I checked it out and found there is really no drainage, so it must be wet a lot.

I almost gave up, but thought if there is no drainage, there is no erosion. I used the highest ground I could for most of the trail. I know some people like to "go muddin'" so this could be a place to do it. Any thoughts?

There is also a lot of area to make double track for the race, if we use it.

My biggest concern is that it will never pack down. Before I get too much time in it I want to know if anyone has tried to make trail here before and am I wasting time? This is the area after the rail docks and before the open grass area.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

We've tried to stay away from the low, poor draining spots in the past. I wouldn't say that "no drainage" means "no erosion" as trail traffic is one of the main contributers to erosion, especially in areas that are apt to stay wet (rutting, etc). Since we always battle high water in the spring, you can't rely on the low-lying areas to be available. Bottom line, I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, but I sure wouldn't count on using it for spring. Can't say I'm a big fan of encouraging people to go muddin, even at Sylvan...

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Usually what happens with wet spots is people try to ride around the mud resulting in a trail that becomes much wider and an eyesore. There may not be erosion in the classic sense, but it doesn't reflect well on the club when our trails turn into big mud bogs, especially since we are IMBA affiliated.

One option that allows trail in wet areas is elevated tread, but this would be a lot of work without mechanized earth moving equipment for a trail of any significant length. Before this years race we put in an elevated section on the northwest end near the Dam that had become a big mud pit. It worked out great, but it took a handful of people a few hours to construct a little bit of trail. There are still a few areas on Sylvan that need this type of treatment actually.

Everyone likes new trail, but it may be better to fix some of the areas that usually become a problem in the spring.

Is there any way to move the feature to a different location? It would probably require a lot less work.

I couldn't make it out Monday to help, but let me know the next time you are heading out there and need a hand.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Russ, I've had raging fangboner for that tie for years. It's huge and it would be cool as hell. If you're gonna be available some time Thursday, call me and maybe we could meet and ride the island a little. In the last few years we've been able to make some of the existing loops substantially longer instead of just criss crossing the existing"pile" of trails out there. I actually think there is a surprising amount of room for more trail!!

I agree w the others here about the low areas. Setting up a place to go mudding is setting a really bad example. Granted, it's hard to hurt Sylvan, but then people might think it would be ok to ride the other parks in the mud. Unfortuanately, we've learned the hard way that we have to be aware of things like that.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

big mud bogs,
    Not quite what I meant. I was thinking it could be put in the race since they tend to be rain or shine. Several people said that SIS two years ago was a blast in the mud. I personally hate getting my bike muddy. Takes too long to clean.

Is there any way to move the feature to a different location? It would probably require a lot less work.
    Nope this baby is bolted on both ends and is probably 400 lbs.

I think I'll chill and keep a close eye on it in the spring to see where would be good to build. We could always bridge some areas.

but then people might think it would be ok to ride the other parks in the mud.
    Good call. no need to incourage bad behavior. I'll call you. I have some time Thurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole'72 View Post
    Nope this baby is bolted on both ends and is probably 400 lbs.
    nothing is imposssible. a battery powered sawzall or impact or a good ole wrench or ratchet and socket work wonders. a 400 lb obstacle is not that big of a deal if you can get willing people to help move it. i OWN a cum-a-long and nylon straps, clevis' and other stuff of the type. we moved a pretty big tree at illiniwek this way. its hard work and can take quite a bit of time, but again... NOTHING is impossible. i would come to help move it. plywood and a rope also work great for a sled type of moving pad. a buddy uses this to move BIG rocks around his yard for landscaping. WE CAN MOVE IT IF WE REALLY WANT TO.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Quote Originally Posted by dru_b View Post
    its hard work and can take quite a bit of time, but again... NOTHING is impossible.
    When dru_b sets his mind to something, it's gonna get done. Dats-da-trute!

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

I never said it was impossible. It would just be a lot of work and it's in a sweet place where it is. The approach is tuff though. I don't think many people will like it, but I'm not worried about many people.
    I already rode what I have laid out (no I didn't make the skinny) and I think it will work. If not, I can make a small loop from the fat/skinny around to another trail.