Thread: "How To Ride Obstacles" thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

BIGGEST NEW MTBer MISTAKE!! (ok, so it's not an obstacle thing- it's still good info)

In the "how to ride skinny" post above, I note to look at the end of the skinny because your tires have a tendency to go where you look. The same thing happens on the trail. Focus on where you want the tires to go, not on the things you want to avoid!!

If you're staring hard at that tree, log or rock- you are increasing the chances of hitting it. Focusing on the little gap between the obstacles will greatly increase the chances that you will go through it!!

It's common to see people when they are 1st starting REALLY tight and kinda freakin out about some little thing that's not even hard to miss, but because they can't stop staring at it, they end up hitting it all the time.

Next time you're out riding- give this a shot- I bet it helps!!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Effective Braking

Another common mistake beginners often make is not knowing how to use the brakes effectively. This is one of the most essential skills to learn if you want to improve your riding. Using mainly the back brake and skidding the rear tire all over the place is not the proper technique for quick controlled stopping. Using only the back brake and skidding makes it harder to control the bike during maneuvering and usually damages the trail.

The proper technique involves using mainly the front brake; this is where most of the stopping power in the braking system comes from. Also, keep the tires rolling during braking. Most vehicles come equipped with anti-lock braking because they stop faster and are more controllable when the wheels keep turning; the same applies to bikes.

Using the front brake requires positioning your body differently because the rear wheel will want to rise up under heavy braking. This pitching is easy to counter by extending your arms and getting behind the saddle. This distributes your weight over the rear tire and will keep it down with the added benefit of increasing the amount of front brake you can use.

Practice the technique on open level ground at first; a grass field will work well. Start slowly and gently apply only the front brake until completely stopped to get a feel for it. Increase speed and braking force as you learn the feel of the front brake. Once you master the front, add in the rear brake for even quicker stops. This type of panic braking exercise can get you out of some hairy situations on and off the trail.