Thread: wood facial...

Default wood facial...

while riding a favorite local trail with a few riding buddies yesterday, one of us encountered a major facial injury.

"bike & hike Phil" Maess took a severe fall that ended in a face plant to wood. he ended up getting 9 external stitches and a few internal, a cuncussion, and a bruised up face. (forehead and chin mainly). upon arrival at the hospital, i noticed the bruises coming in strong on the forehead< didn"t even realize they were there before that. NONE of the 4 riders there ever thought to take a look at his helmet. he did when he returned home only to find the inner structure broken to hell with a dent in the forehead region on the outside. i realized at this point that CHECKING HELMETS FOR IMPACT is a necessity after a crash of that magnitude. we never even thought to see if a head injury "could" have occured, was just worried about tending to the facial damages. lesson learned. click on the photo to see the damages before the hospital visit.... i will get another today for the "after" shot.

moral of this story, remember to always wear your helmet, and ride within your limits. (although, this time we were not being ignorant, just a bad deal) everyone be safe and enjoy your trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dru_b; 10-11-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Hmm makes me want to start wearing a full face to protect the money maker. Looks like he got to keep all his teeth which is a good deal. Hope hes doing ok.

Oh man!!!!!
    I wanna ride!

oh man! Phil, I hope you recover quickly!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Holy hole in the face Phil. That looks like it sucked...
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

OH! Thats gonna leave a mark
    Get out and ride !!

ouch.......
    Pain is temporary. Quitting last forever

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Phil, sheesh, man! That looks rough, I'm very glad it wasn't worse though, you got marks around your eyes and you kept all of your teeth.

When that heals you're gonna be even more ruggedly good looking than you already were! Your wife'll never let you leave the house!!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.