Thread: Illiniwek park trails

Smile Illiniwek park trails

Just rode the trails at Illiniwek park again today, great time. Ive been riding in that park since i was a kid. we used to ride the old archery trails. In winter we would ride the frozen creeks. when they carved out the stairs to get to the overlook we would push our bmx bikes to the top and ride to the bottom. before the timbers were put in of course. great job on the trails
    Last edited by scott7771; 10-10-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Ya rode it for the fist time today and had a blast. great trails but needs a little help in the directions to the trails. also it sucks how some of them just come to an end and your in the middle of a field.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Glad you like the trails. The reason some of the trails appear to dead end into a field is because we haven't completed the sections of trail that are across the field or haven't removed the grass to make a more defined path. Consider the trails still under construction. We are working on getting signage to make the trails easier to navigate, but that may not happen until the trails are completed. In time the trails through the grassy areas will become more defined, but until now a map will have to suffice: http://www.qcforc.org/trails/Illiniw...railSystem.pdf

I though I knew what that map looked like until I parked in the lower lot and then it was all erased from memory. Fist thing I did was one hell of a hill climb that isnt on that map but its a pretty well established trail with a tree down once you get to the top. Might be a good one to add. It takes you from the creek up to the short green loop in the middle. Anyway good start to a nice system. Hopefully I can help build some day.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

The trail you described is one we are in the process of closing because it is unsustainable; it is basically a stream bed now because it follows the bottom of a ravine with a large watershed. We placed the fallen tree across the top of the trail to deter people from using it and hopefully direct them onto the new trails on either side of the log. When it rains that trail tends to dump a bunch of water onto the grassy area below the sledding hill, where our new trails will be, and if it isn't corrected will eventually cause a huge mud hole when people start riding across the wet grass. If you come across any blocked trails that are not on the map please stay off of them because they are most likely closed and in the process of rehabilitation. I do realize that that particular trail was not blocked at the bottom so our fault there.

If you are having a difficult time navigating the trails let me know and I can show you around out there some time. We are also having group rides at Illiniwek if you would like to learn the trails riding with of other people. Pay attention to the Lets Ride forum for group ride announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    Ya rode it for the fist time today and had a blast. great trails but needs a little help in the directions to the trails. also it sucks how some of them just come to an end and your in the middle of a field.
    Glade you liked the trails that have been completed so far! Illiniwek is a work in progress type of trail system and we still have a lot of trail to build. The thing about building trail is it take a lot of time and hard work! And due to the small amount of people putting in that time and hard work it will take at least another year to complete the whole system. With yours and others help we could cut that down to six months or so, but it will take people like yourself to step up and help out for that to happen!

We all need to remember that trail systems just don't appear out of thin air, someone has to buld them and if we want more trail to ride WE have to build them.

So if you want to be a REAL mountain biker step up on that posted trail day and do your part.

JB

Ya its in need of some major blocking down at the bottom because that was the only area that actually looked like a trail head. The real entrance to the trails is not very visible from the parking lot. I wandered about that trail once I starting getting toward the top. But like I said once I got there I compleatly forgot what the trails looked like. I will hopefully be joining you for the night ride tomorrow. I don't normally ride with people because my lack of being in shape slows everyone down...

Quote Originally Posted by ELSANTO! View Post
    Glade you liked the trails that have been completed so far! Illiniwek is a work in progress type of trail system and we still have a lot of trail to build. The thing about building trail is it take a lot of time and hard work! And due to the small amount of people putting in that time and hard work it will take at least another year to complete the whole system. With yours and others help we could cut that down to six months or so, but it will take people like yourself to step up and help out for that to happen!

We all need to remember that trail systems just don't appear out of thin air, someone has to buld them and if we want more trail to ride WE have to build them.

So if you want to be a REAL mountain biker step up on that posted trail day and do your part.

JB
    My problem with the trail days are they are to early for me. I don't get off work until 5 and by the time I get there it would be atleast 6 if not later...now sylvan being nice and close its easy to make it over there closer to being on time.