Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moab 411

Default Moab 411

Ten dudes, 1200 miles to Moab, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Ray N; Kurt D; Aaron M; Dave S; Brian K; Ryan N; Steve H; Russ B; Tim M (special guest appearance by The Gunch)

We're heading out of Dodge early Saturday morning, 2Oct. Cruise to Grand Junction, CO.
    Up decent time Sunday morning and finish out drive to Moab (~1 1/2 hr).

Ride Ride Ride Sunday, Monday, Tuesday at Moab. Stay here in cabins at night.

Drive back to Fruita late Tuesday afternoon.
    Ride Ride Ride Wednesday, Thursday, Friday at Fruita and Grand Junction. Stay here in cabins at night. Meet up with The Gunch of COFORC.

Saturday is Game-Time decision. Ride in AM and start heading back in PM or bail or whatever. No big deal.

Still need to figure out wheels. AG has graciously offered his trailer to us, a sweet setup. We can take my Rabbit, we can take my pickup. Neither ideal, but they both have been there before and know the way (just make sure you call "shotgun" if there's more than two of us, right SteveDave?)

Other options?? Give a holla!

Rg.

Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips.
    Haters gonna hate.

i want an orange whip, do i have to be present to win?
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Quote Originally Posted by dru_b View Post
    i want an orange whip, do i have to be present to win?
    We'll work something out.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

We can take my durango if needed too. It seats six, four really, and junk in the back. I can put two bikes on top and have a hitch rack for four more, of course AG's trailer will probably cover all the bikes.

what's an orange whip? That's not like the pink panties, is it?
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I think we've got wheels figured out...what we really need is a TRUE role call...so...

Post up that you're going FOR SURE. This way, we can make sure we've got enough seats for all the butts!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

The list is the first post is True. Steve H is on the bubble, but still on the list.

Whatchu got??

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Steve's out (and pissed off about it)...

by my count, that leaves 9...

I'm gonna work on getting a van from work, otherwise we've got Ray's van (5 butts) and Krud's Edge (4 butts).

Krud's Edge pull a trailer?

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

please save a spot for my butt and my bike! Im in fo sho!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Krud has graciously offered to pull the trailer with his edge. Like last time, in the event of weirdness, the short bus can take a 2nd string role on pulling it. I don't have any specific problems with the my van- but you doods know what it's been through in the 2nd 60,000 miles, so I'd like to have someone else pull the trailer IF POSSIBLE, however-

If the best way for us to head out is for us to just hook that thing up to my van and roll, the other car can break wind (insert fart joke here) and we'll just run east bound and down, 12 place bike rack truckin!

I got room for 6 and a cooler if the gear is going in the trailer.

I need to pick up a pair of pink granny panties though....

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

How Ray's van is still alive I don't know. You can count me out too. I'll be in Egypt all that week. Don't get me wrong, riding in Moab is awesome, but flying first class to Ciaro to experience all the history and culture is an once in a lifetime chance I'm not missing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kruds pulling the trailer.

What time we leavin?
    From where?
    Are we pickin up rage in IC?

Kurt doesn't want to leave at 3 AM- I'm gonna be wide awake with anticipation anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

If we leave Meilke's at 6:00 we can be in grand junction by 10 if we don't stop to pee every 15 miles, so call it midnight.

Soooo, is there room to park for a week at Meilkes? Stevedave- if you just wanna come to my place and ride over, let me know.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

not sure about parking at my place...the city is tearing up the road and I may lose driveway access for a while...unless we park the cars in my side lot, which I'm ok with - I just don't know if and when they're gonna tear the street up.

I definitely want to get on the road as early as possible, within reason, Saturday morning so whatever is good with everybody else...

Any time for me. Just tell me when and where. 11 more wake-ups.

Im a couple hours away from y'all, so I will need to know when you plan to hit the road so I can plan to be there.
    email me at astropunk_2000 at yahoo dot com
    Let me know of any details or any changes

Day 1:
    Amasa Back - Our first ride in '08, nice opener to the week.

Bartlett Wash - New to all but SteveDave, slickrock playground.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Amasa Back - Our first ride in '08, nice opener to the week.
    I better bring a spare helmet.

Bartlet Wash makes me wanna bring pads- falling here looks like it would turn parts of me into hamburger!!!

I've got a couple of old deraillers, 160 mm rotors, shift cables, and a tool set- I DO NOT have a D-hanger tool so if someone has one, please bring it.

Also- everyone should plan on being self reliant with tubes/air (even if you're tubeless) / spare hangers/ zip ties, etc. If we all have them, the chances of us getting stuck without enough to make repairs goes to dang slim. some days will be longer than others so also bring your biggest water bladders and a large water bottle if you use one. If we happen to hit a 6 hour ride on a hot day, you want the equipement to plan for it.

Russ, Stevedave and Mcgrath, plan on meeting me at my house, we'll hook up with the rest of the crew at Meilke's and catch Rage on our way through IC.

Ya, for me, pads are a requirement on this trip...

Along with all the things Vibrato pointed out, a spare chain could come in handy as well...

"I've got a couple of old deraillers, 160 mm rotors, shift cables, and a tool set- I DO NOT have a D-hanger tool so if someone has one, please bring it.

Also- everyone should plan on being self reliant with tubes/air (even if you're tubeless) / spare hangers/ zip ties, etc. If we all have them, the chances of us getting stuck without enough to make repairs goes to dang slim. some days will be longer than others so also bring your biggest water bladders and a large water bottle if you use one. If we happen to hit a 6 hour ride on a hot day, you want the equipement to plan for it. "

so let's see...

spare chain...

...check!

spare derailleur *and* derailleur hangers...

...check!

post-ride refreshments...

...check!

9 more wakeups!

dooood!!!!

So, were are faces red because a day of riding, or our we all on the second one of those huge mugs? Man, that trip was awesome. You guys are going to have so much fun.

Are we going on any night rides? I'll need to borrow a wall charger if so.

I see there is a laundry facility at the place in Moab. Bring quaters.

Is someone bringing a floor pump?

Will a CO2 cartrige set the bead on a tubeless tire? Didn't know if I should bring extra sealant. Yes I'm bringing a spare tube.

I got out Texas Hold 'em in case of a major storm.

Should I bring a cooler?

Are these too many questions?
    I'm trying to make sure I'm prepared. I usually start packing two hours before it's time to leave, but not this time.

7 Wake-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole'72 View Post
    Are we going on any night rides?
    if you have any energy left, go for it!

I see there is a laundry facility at the place in Moab.
    We waited until we got to Fruita on the last trip, but do what ya gotta do...

Is someone bringing a floor pump?
    Definitely.

Will a CO2 cartrige set the bead on a tubeless tire?
    20 miles away from camp, high up in the desert, it better ;-)

An extra bottle of sealant is a pretty good idea, but a spare tube is much easier to mess with on the trail.

Yes I'm bringing a spare tube.
    Toss a few in your pack...

Should I bring a cooler?
    Yes...we'll definitely want some beers when we get back to the parking lot!

Are these too many questions?
    Yes...but I love it! I'm just as excited for this trip dude! I can't stop watching vids, looking at pics, and browsing the Moab forum on mtbr.

I spent the morning downloading gps files for my Droid X...

Just make sure you've got what you need in your pack so you can be as self-sufficient as possible. Keep in mind, you'll have 8 other doods riding with you so it's likely we'll be able to repair most anything other than a frame failure.

but, what do I know? I've only been there once! We're gonna have such a friggin good time - bikes, epic trails, no tension, beer...