Thread: New to QC trails

Default New to QC trails

Hello,

New to the QC trails here. I moved here from Tulsa, OK about three years ago, where they had an absolutely awesome place to ride. (Turkey Mountain, 80-100 miles of track with every possible trail you could want) I tried Scott County when I first moved here but did not know where I was going and only ended up on the horse trails, which sucked, so I quit until I was informed by a friend of this site and some other trails to go to.

In the last few days, I revisited SC and tried some of the trails. Not bad, a few cool parts right South of the driving range. Also tried Sunderbruch park Friday (9/17/2010). Some decently challenging parts there also. What I did find out is that my bike legs are shot. I don't ever remember that much lactic acid burn from so little riding. Time to get back into bike shape I guess.

Do you guys post when you get together and ride? I probably can't keep up anymore, but I would like to ride around with you so I know where the challenging parts are.

thanks

also, when do you guys quit riding for the year and start up again? Or do you go whenever possible all year around? Also, I am available to help with trail maintenance when I am in town. I have a Stihl MS460 chainsaw so I can cut up anything that is too large to make an interesting obstacle.

We post up group rides, and people hit the trails all the time, sometimes posting, sometimes not. We do a good job communicating on this forum, watch (or subscribe to) "Let's Ride". As far as riding season, it depends on the person. Some people quite when it gets below 45 degrees, others will ride throughout the winter. We definitely do some snow rides, especially early in the season before the snow gets an ice-packed layer. Ride when you can, not just when you plan.

If you're in town this weekend, come on out to our Trail Day at Illinwek Park tomorrow, we'll have a membership form so you'll be covered by our insurance. Hope to see you there.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Welcome. I try to post up when I ride, but not always. Keep an eye on the forum and let us know when you go out.
    Here are a couple things you need to know about the local trails.
    Scott County Park is closed a lot. Check the home page for closures and call before you go if unsure...563-328-3282

Sunderbruch is open more often, but has a few trails that tend to stay closed.

Sylvan is usually open. Don't ride if we just had a good rain.

See ya.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.