Thread: Another Dive. Advice Needed

Default Another Dive. Advice Needed

I was at SBP the other day, and I was going over the big log pile on LT. As I crested the top, I saw that a log on the other side was diplaced. I knew it would be bad, so I imediately tried to unclip, but it was too late. I endo'd from the top and landed on my head and broke another helmet. Thank God it was the helmet!

First, I would like to ask everyone to put back anything that is knocked out of place. This would have saved me from another dive.

Second, if you don't usually wear a helmet, you're a dumb-ass. Please get one. You never know when you're going to need it.

So now I have a question. I had on a cheap helmet that says "for normal bicycle use. Not for downhill or extreme off road use." I suppose any riding we do would be extreme off road use. The question is, if I had a mtn helmet, would I have to toss it or could I continue using it if it wasn't broken? It's hard to drop big bucks if can only take one shot. A cheap helmet is better than no helmet.

Here come the jokes...
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

As you know all helmets are engineered to take 1 impact, which is why you have to toss it (because of the impact, not because it was also broken). Even though another helmet might not have broken in your tumble, you still would have needed to replace it.

I believe that all helmets have the same testing requirements they have to meet, and so a more expensive helmet is not necessarily safer than a cheaper helmet, it just has more expensive materials to make is as light as possible and look cool but still pass the test.

Maybe you should get a job as a helmet tester.

1 impact on a high dollar helmet. That's crap. Drew said the hard helmets (full face) could take multiples, but they're like $200+ and suck to wear.

Maybe you should get a job as a helmet tester.
    I'll test out a few in Moab for you. What brands should I try?
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I don't think you'll find a big difference in "impact repetition" between different brands. You give 'em a good whack, they should be replaced. More expensive helmets tend to weigh less (as previously noted), have better venting, better pads, and better retention systems (read: fit better). Proper fit is important, so make sure you get one that fits - obviously - but also one that is comfortable enough to be worn while properly adjusted. Snug, not too loose, not too tight.

As my wingman SteveDave sez: "Got a $40 head? Wear a $40 helmet."

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Check out some of the BMX helmets; there are non-full face versions, they are designed to withstand multiple impacts, and most will not break the bank. They don't have much in terms of venting though and probably weigh more because of the thicker outer shell.

Example:

The type of BMX helmet that's pictured above is widely used here in Tucson, even though it doesn't breathe well it works great for the protection that it gives in case of multiple impacts. I've been using the Giro Zen for years and have taken quite a few crashes with it, and so far it has withstood all of them without a crack.
    "Keep your flesh off the ground"

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    As my wingman SteveDave sez: "Got a $40 head? Wear a $40 helmet."

Rg.
    Never trust a man with 2 1st names...

Winter before last I went nuts training for the 24 hr and by the time the weather got nice- I was way stronger than my skills were ready for. I was on my 3rd helmet within 3 weeks of riding. Even a cheap helmet is better than a dew rag or a ball cap, but on this one ole 2 names might be right...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Board Position
    Vice President

just get helmet insurance and be done with it they got it for everything. or stop crashing that way.