Thread: It's here!

Default It's here!

The mountain bike race season is officially over for me. That means it's CX season! After buying a house my funds are a little low, so no money for a CX bike. So I did the only thing I could do, convert the green machine into a CX Bike!

I used 44mm drop bars I bought cheap at a bike swap, Tiagra 9 speed shifters I found cheap on craiglists, put on a rigid fork, used a old WTB Devo saddle from the Trance X, used a stem and seatpost I got dirt cheap to change up the geometry, and set it up as a 1x9. I'll probably run the Kenda SM8's since it's hard to found 26 x 1.5 tires that have good traction for CX, and the SM8's are a pretty low resistant tire anyway. It's not pretty, but it will get me through the CX season. Should be a pretty good touring bike too!
    Last edited by Gunchie; 08-30-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

BWAHAHAHA!!!!! OMFG! That thing is NEVER gonna die!!!!!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

You can't deny how versatile and reliable the Green Machine has been over the years!

Damn right! The Green Machine is indestructible! The same bike that got me into mountain biking is now getting me into CX! Let's hope less injuries occur this time around though.

awesome to see bikes getting recycled and re-used! congrats on making the most out of what you had!
    Pain is temporary. Quitting last forever

Heeeeeeey, is that a Giant Cypher with pink Crank Bros peddles in the background of the 2nd picture?!? Man I miss riding that bike!
    Gunchie... I'll be home in a few short weeks!!!

Btw, very nice CX bike you have built up!

Quote Originally Posted by druien View Post
    awesome to see bikes getting recycled and re-used! congrats on making the most out of what you had!
    "Recycled and Reused" is a massive understatement when it pertains to Gunchie and his Green Machine! hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    "Recycled and Reused" is a massive understatement when it pertains to Gunchie and his Green Machine! hahahaha
    I have to agree. The only thing left on that bike that is stock is the headset and derailleur hanger. I've definitely thrown way more money on that bike then it is worth. But it has taught me a lot on bike mechanics by doing all the work myself. "Recycled and Reused" better describes the skin I've lost and grown back from learning to mountain bike on the Green Machine.

Haha well its all in good fun at least!
    Pain is temporary. Quitting last forever

gunchie turned the fastest laps out of all of us during the 24/9 on the green machine...pretty incredible
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."