Thread: Sylvan trail day Aug 10

Default Sylvan trail day Aug 10

We need to have another trail day at Sylvan to finish the clean up. I plan to work from 3:30 to 5:30. If anyone can help, bring chain saw, hachet, loppers, or rake. It is usually super humid on the island so bring an extra shirt too.
    I'll be there unless it's raining hard.
    Bring your bike.

Don't forget to post up any hours you work.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I would be there if it was later in the day and not raining. The weather looks like its going to be crappy until thursday. So if you ever want to start at 5:30 I'm game.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Russ, sorry for not lending a hand, you've caught me at a bad time. Thanks for working so hard to make the trails more fun for everyone else, and I WILL get out there eventually...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I'll be there around 3:30 with whatever tools I can find.

I was hoping to get out and help, but it looks like there's no way I can make it, bummer. Post up what will still need to be done to get ready for the Taming when you have a chance...

Thanks, Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Great big thanks to Drew, John, Chris, and Paul for coming out to help pretty up the island. We now have the entire West side (or at least what was the race track) ridable. Drew rode the East side and will give a report. Plans will be made from there. Late

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Here is a map of the trail blockages that still need attention (the ones that I remember anyways):

In addition to the downed trees, the log over on the west end of the island tried to float away and needs some repair and the island in general needs some weed/face slapper trimming .

*snort* nice down-tree symbols.

Looks like some work ahead. I'm all for getting this knocked out, but with the high heat/humidity forecast for the next few days, I think we ought to wait for a break...

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

If any one else wants to go out I would be up for some tree cutting tonight around 5:30. I plan on riding out there tomorrow and the less getting off to go around the down trees the better.

I'm doing a road ride tonight if I can stop saying hi and being nice, but I might try to spend a couple hours w a chainsaw 1st. Prolly 4:30 ish to 6, weather permitting. -Vibrato

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Drew I almost missed the map. Looks like we missed a few. I'm going to plan on getting a new bar and chain this week (maybe, for sure if FORC is paying) and going out Saturday morning, 10:00 ish... Plans are meant to be changed. Any input to get some people out there would helpfull.

Awesome Ray!

I'm going road ridin' tonight too. Mainly 'cause the mtb bike is torn down or I would have been to Sylvan. Give a day's heads up and I'll join you next time, road or trail. Need to start training for Moab.
    Last edited by Russhole; 08-11-2010 at 05:45 PM.

I dont know if its going to need a chainsaw, I'll tell you tomorrow when I ride it. There is a need for loppers pretty much everywhere. I walked the map and every thing should be taken care of.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Just got back from riding Sylvan and the trails are looking much better. Nice work clearing all those trees so quickly. I only came across one more tree; it is on the very east section of Stonehenge. Also the tree on the very southwest corner of the island that was blocking the main path still needs to be trimmed back a little.

For Saturday how about trimming and trying to fix the wet spots?

I'll be there on Saturday.

Dang, I cut 3 trees out of Stonehenge, thought I got'em all... Had a saw right there and missed one...dang!

I was surprised at how many trees were down, and that was after the crew spent 2 hours cutting the other night. Sheesh, it was in pretty bad shape!

found one tree down. now i just have to explain where it is. when you come on in the main gravel trail go straight untill you get to the woods. go to the left and cut through to the trail and go straight down that trail, it right right along the the gravel path that that goes to the left when coming in and its just a little ways down that. other then that one it needs a lot of lopering and maybe a weed eater.