Thread: Post Storm Cleanup!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default Post Storm Cleanup!

I just got back from surveying the North end of the park for damage from the last wind storm. There are 3+ large oaks down blocking various sections of trail, I think the biggest is about 3 feet in diameter, and many large oak branches. The goal is to head out there Saturday late afternoon and/or possibly Sunday morning to remove the debris. Post here if and when you are available so we can schedule a time, also if you have a chainsaw (a large one) we will need it. Our only chainsaw died in action last week. We might break out the 6' crosscut saw for some extra fun.

Here is an example of what we are up against:

i could do sunday morning for a few hours. wouldnt be able to meet till about 10:30 ish as i have to take the wife to work. (down to one car at the moment. radiator blew up in the jeep,) but then i have to come home to repair said jeep.....
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Board Position

Dru_b, do you still have the chain winch and slings we used to drag that big log a while ago? Those may be helpful for moving some of the stuff we will be cutting.

Sunday morning at 10:30 works for me.

JB

Board Position

Meet in the lower parking lot by the lookout trailhead.

Default sunday

will bring 16 - 18 inch chainsaw and can stay for a few hrs. see you at 1030
    derrick

sitting here now feling like a big dummy because i failed to check up on te status of this one and now i'm late and here without a car. forgot all about this in the big scheme of things last night and didnt make plans with the wife to get the car while she was working.

im sorry for leaving you guys hangin out there. and yes, i have the comealong and slings, you are welcome to borrow them anytime. just call me or whatever.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Big thanks to Denis, Drew, and Derrick for all the help! Yes we got it all cleaned up and no worries dru_b you been there for us in the past! What is so amazing to me is how many people viewed this thread and how few people really showed up to help out (103 veiws 4 show up)! I see all these posts about people wanting to ride dirt, but there will be NO DIRT IF WE DON'T BUILD IT AND MAINTAIN IT! In a year we will host the Midwest Mountain Bike Festival and people will be coming from all over the midwest to ride our trails. How many miles of trails will we have for them to ride, will it be well maintain trail, and will they have a number of different parks to ride with out having to travel a long distance? These are the things people showing up next year will talk about after they have attended our festival and what will bring them back the following year.

WE NEED YOU TO MAKE THE QCA A PLACE PEOPLE THINK ABOUT WHEN THEY WANT TO RIDE DIRT!

JB

Elsanto,
    You sound just like me when I posted a similar "viewpoint" about how many people where reading and NO action by the masses was happening. It was brought to my attention (and rightly so) that there could be a lot of Out-of-towners and people that visit our sites that count as a "viewed" read of said thread. Also, every time you or anyone that has already read it goes back and reads an update, it counts as another "viewed" read, thus increasing the Total count.
    I am NOT trying to said I don't agree w/ you, I am just saying it helped me remember that there are sometimes things going on behind the scenes (family obligations, Lurkers, Work, money, shy, travel time, world-wide readers of the forum...).
    Keep up the good work and keep letting people know when and where they can help; they just may surprise you sometimes.
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!