Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray's Indoor Mountain Bike Park - February 20-22, 2009

Default Ray's Indoor Mountain Bike Park - February 20-22, 2009

With the new forum, we don't have AG's post that had all the info about the upcoming FORC'n Ray's trip. I am sure he will repost here. John and I plan to drive down Thursday afternoon 2/20/09 as I want to participate in the ladies-only skills clinic on Friday.

In the meantime, check out this forum post which is a nice recap from the 2008 Dirt Rag Ladies Weekend at Ray's: http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/in...showtopic=7176

Women's Weekend at Ray's Mtb Park in Cleveland, OH was a huge success. Held February 22, 23 and 24. The event was put on by Dirt Rag, along with all of the other sponsors of Ray's. If you have yet to make the pilgrimage out to Ray's, you need to. It is 97,000 sq ft of a mountain biker's heaven in the middle of winter. Offering something for everyone from beginners to experts. They even have a foam pit to perfect your back flips, and a full street course. Ladies and Gents were able to demo the latest and greatest FireEye Bikes and products.

There was a special "ladies only" session and clinic on Friday from 10 am to 4 pm. After 4 they let the gents back in. The rest of the weekend it was both ladies and gents riding all day. Ladies were able to ride free all weekend. Clinics were held covering all forms of riding, from basic pedaling skills to, whipping around on a pump track, taking 5 plus foot drops, to advanced jumping.

There were a total of 9 pro women around all weekend for coaching. Including Jill Kintner of GT bicycles, Kathy Pruitt of Jamis Bicycles, Canadian women's freeride legend Stephanie Nychka, Gale with GOFAST energy drink, Emily Johnston of Black Market, Lisa Myklak of Black Market, Tammy representing IMBA, Nina B a bmxer riding for Etnies, and of course Nadia Steinbrecher of FireEye Bike. Just to name a few. These ladies know how to shred a park! With such a star studded crew, it was no wonder the clinics went so smooth. A lot of the ladies who attended the clinics skills improved three fold in one day! The clinics were very laid back, with out pressure.

A raffle was held on Friday for the ladies right after lunch. This lucky lady won a set of FireEye Fire-8 pedals.

No bike event would ever be complete with out a party. Friday night PBR had a sweet little local band, and was giving out free swag.

Ladies mark your calendars for next year. Dirt Rag is already starting to plan for next year. All I can say so far is it is going to be bigger, and better. It will make the perfect winter getaway.

A big thank you goes out to all of the women who showed up this weekend, Ray's Mtb Park, Dirt Rag, and the rest of the sponsors of the park for a great weekend. Keep checking the FireEye website for information on next years Women's Weekend, and other events.

Pictures from 2008 Ray's Ladies Weekend: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...;albumId=933803
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    President

Friday, February 20th through 22nd. I have 3 rooms set aside for us that will accommodate 12 (4 in each room). The plan is to leave the QC around 8am Friday morning endure the 8 hour drive check into our rooms, them hit the park for a few hours. Leave and find a brewpub or 2. I have already located them also. At this point the interest has been very high and I’m sure there will be some that will want to check out the sites and sounds of Cleveland and some will want to just ride. With the Rock-n-Roll hall of Fame and at least 6 brew pubs I will be one wanting to look around a little.
    Also one of the reasons I chose this weekend is that Dirt Rag will be their promoting a Ladies weekend. I have asked Ray about it and this is what he said “well ...on friday during the day, from 9am-4pm it is women only...clinics
    ,pros etc. The doors open to everyone at 5 on Friday and girls ride for free
    all weekend. It's alot of fun. Can be a little busy between noon and 4 on
    Saturday. other than that, a ton of fun. Hope to see ya, thanks, ray”
    They had about 40 women show last year, in place that size I don’t it will make a lot of difference. And besides it sounds pretty cool.
    Cost? Well this is what I can up with rooms are $59 pre night, Ray’s will be $47 for the weekend, Gas at $2 per gallon (who really knows what it will cost in Fed) in my van $33 pre person. TOTAL: $109.00 per person for the weekend. This does not include your food or beer!

i'm in...more characters
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I'm not missing this trip again. I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    I'm not missing this trip again. I'm in.
    dude

pack pads...seriously

:D

It's going to be in the middle of February, I'll have a layer of body pads I like to call fat... but I'll look into getting pads for the trip. Glad to see you care.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Count me in. I will take a seat in AG's van.

Quote Originally Posted by ew_perry View Post
    Count me in. I will take a seat in AG's van.
    SHOTGUN!

:D

Megan wants to go now too. With the price of FREE can't really beat it. Not sure if she wants to the clinic on Friday or not though.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    TOTAL: $109.00 per person for the weekend. This does not include your food or beer!
    So, we're probably looking at $350 a person with beer? :D
    I wanna ride!

is this limited to the first 12 that confirm or is there a possibility that more rooms are available at the same hotel, maybe even close to the ones you already have? would love to go but total commitment at this point in the game is hard for me.

i'm sayin possibly at the moment...
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

forc'n trip to rays 07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsnbFvmH7_s

stumbled across this thought some may like to see locals in action if they haven't as ov yet.

Board Position
    President

Quote Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
    So, we're probably looking at $350 a person with beer? :D
    Don't under estimate your self.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Board Position
    President

Quote Originally Posted by dru_b View Post
    is this limited to the first 12 that confirm or is there a possibility that more rooms are available at the same hotel, maybe even close to the ones you already have? would love to go but total commitment at this point in the game is hard for me.

i'm sayin possibly at the moment...
    The interest has been very high so far. I'm thinking of getting a 4th room. I already have someone from lamba going also.

Because I am going to participate in the women's-only skills clinic on Friday 2-20-09, John and I are going to take Thursday afternoon off from work and head down Thursday afternoon. I know the drive time is 8 hours. We may opt to drive 5 or 6 hours Thursday night, find a hotel along the way and then get up first thing Friday morning and finish the last couple hours to Cleveland.

By the time all you knobbies get there Friday afternoon / early evening, I'll be pooped from riding and getting all SKILLED... so I can take pictures and videos of y'all having fun Friday night. Then of course there will be beer and plenty of it for the Friday night encore.
    I wanna ride!

forc'n trip to rays 07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsnbFvmH7_s

stumbled across this thought some may like to see locals in action if they haven't as ov yet.

that was a nice blast from the past!

One of the PAMBA ladies asked about the skills clinic registration. I talked to Ray in Cleveland. He says that there will be a "very loose registration" on their website eventually for us to sign up. He said more details should be posted in December. I will post up once I see that they are taking online registrations.
    I wanna ride!

ok, with the holidays barely out of the way, i need to start making some firm plans for this trip. my mommy gave me money to help fund my fun for the weekend as my xmas gift. i saw somewherte that the weekend runs through monday. maybe on the forc calendar. i am planning on leaving here friday morning as originally talked about, and only plan on staying friday night in a hotel, getting up riding saturday and then leaving to come home sometime saturday evening.

I have a jeep grand cherokee that i will be driving and would be interested in any carpoolers that may wanna run the same schedule. just don't wanna leave mamma home with the kids for 4 days. may be my first and last forc trip.

i would like to be a part of the motel rooms that AG have reserved already if still possible and better yet, able to have roomiesto help deter costs. i am going on a very limited budget this time around.

anyone looking for a travel partner, post up. will also stay tuned for others' trip details...............

Board Position
    President

The price I posted ($109 with out food or beer) is only for Friday through Sunday. I have not heard of any on just going for 2 days. You would spend more time on the road than in Cleveland. If you can't find 3 more people to ride with you, its probably going to cost you more. Something to think about.

is there still room in your van or in someone elses car, and i kinda figured that about driving myself. you plan on being home around what time sunday?

ok, trip is getting nearrer, some information needed. clothing... rays requires long pants...... what about sleeves. not 100% sure there. gloves? required or recommended? what type of clothing do your forc'ers that have been there before recommend. what else do i NEED to take with me or what else do you stongly recommend?

this being my first real bike trip, not sure exactly what should make the trip with me.

thanks..........

Board Position
    President

Well lets see, Keep in mind Rays for the most part is not heated and seeing how it's going to be late Feb. Long sleeve and what ever else you need to keep warm. They all say bring flat pedals and I believe Rays has some pads you can use or rent. Other than that enough clothes, tooth brush and your favorite pellow (to snuggle with your favorite FORC with) you should be good to go.

I'd take long & short sleeves with you, it tends to heat up a bit as soon as you get riding. If you start to cool down you can always hit the xc course for a lap or the pump track.
    "Keep your flesh off the ground"

ok, trip is getting nearrer, some information needed. clothing... rays requires long pants...... what about sleeves. not 100% sure there. gloves? required or recommended? what type of clothing do your forc'ers that have been there before recommend. what else do i NEED to take with me or what else do you stongly recommend?

this being my first real bike trip, not sure exactly what should make the trip with me.

thanks..........
    Ray has shin and elbow/forearm guards that he hands out - no rental...at least it was like that for the '07 trip.

I remember being in a hoodie and running pants the first night and after about 10 minutes of riding I was down to a jersey and riding shorts - was just fine.

Fixxer and AG are correct - its chilly in the warehouse but you warm up quickly. So pack your bag with warm gear and just bring it with you.

DEFINITELY bring flat pedals. I tried my SPD's the first night and I about killed myself so first thing Saturday morning I bought some flats from Ray.

...and you'll probably want full-fingered gloves too.

my $.02

Here's the rules from the Rays website:

1. All riders must sign a waiver. Members must present their Ray’s Photo I.D. on each visit. Non-members must sign a waiver on each visit. NOTE: Anyone under 18 without a parent/legal guardian present to sign a waiver must have it witnessed/sealed by notary. NO EXCEPTIONS! Please plan ahead.

2. We are going to start using colored wrist bands at the park. You must wear you wrist band at all times. Season pass holders & members must show I.D. and sign in at the front desk. Please write your wrist band number and an emergency contact phone number for that visit on the sign in sheet.

3. Helmet and gloves required at all times while riding. No exceptions. Elbow guards (recommended) or long sleeve shirt. Knee and shin guards (recommended) or long pant legs.

4. All riders must be 16 and over unless accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also riding. We encourage parents to teach their children to ride. We are not a sitting service. The price for an additional underage rider is $10.00.

5. Riders under 18 must have waiver signed by parent or guardian.

6. No fighting, loitering, spitting, dirty looks, etc.

7. No intentional damaging or tagging of park property. If something breaks, report it to a staff member immediately. Please respect the trail as you would outdoors.

8. Sessioning permitted only in designated areas. The trail is design to flow continuously, similar to outdoor trails.

9. Spectators must remain behind the red wall.

10. No loitering on ramps/obstacles.

11. Ride only in the direction indicated by course markers. This is a one-way course. Ramp transfers are not permitted.

12. No hybrid or road bikes. BMX bikes permitted only during special hours.

http://www.raysmtb.com/index.php?opt...&id=8&Itemid=9
    I wanna ride!