Thread: Gunnison Growler... OUCH!!!

Default Gunnison Growler... OUCH!!!

I know, I know, you want me to shut up about racing already, but I can't help it! This one I've been talking about for awhile now. It was a 2 lap, 64 mile race in Gunnison CO... well, it was supposed to be 2 laps, but I wussed out after one. Still, 32 miles of this stuff was brutal! And plus, I rode three hours of it on a bent saddle about after lawn darting myself a couple of feet. Pretty sure it was my worst crash yet. Here is the results from my Garmin: http://connect.garmin.com/player/35330434. At 40:32 you can see the speed chart go from 14.9 mph to 0... yep, that's my front tire catching on something (no clue what, never saw it) and me flinging over my handlebars. Luckily, it was on a up hill after a descent and I rolled out of it. Some lost skin, but no broken bones. Gunnison has some truely amazing trails! It reminded me of Moab and Fruita. Lots of fast flowing trails and technical sections.... and do I mean technical! It's also only 20 mins from Crested Butte which is known to have some the best trails ever! And just think, your good friend Gunchie is only 4 hours away from it! Let me know you want to visit!

might in inquire about this graph you have here?
    is this something special, something on certain units can do, please tell me more.

I believe any of the Garmin Edge series, which is there cycling GPS units, will do this. I believe the Forerunner's, which is there running GPS units, will as well. I have a Edge 305 myself. The 305's and up have the barometric altimeter which more accurately tells you your altitude gain and loss (very important in CO). Once you have the info you go to connect.garmin.com (not mistaken with garmin.com; same company, completely different sites) create an account and upload to the site. From there you can make your info public (like what I did here) and then share the link. Like this link which me and my buddy Don rode at White Ranch: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34764513. You can also program workouts into the GPS for training, and it's super easy to track your progress! Great if your into racing and training, or just want to see what you did. If you have a Garmin Edge yourself you could also download the map I just rode and then tell the GPS to show you the same route. I absolutely love mine. Didn't know how much I'd use it until I bought it. Now I can't image not having it with me.

thanx for the info. currently i do not have any GPS unit, but my gf and i are interested in geocaching as well as with me being new to the area i really want a GPS unit for my car. so i am soaking up lots of info so i can make a decision on what to get.
    this is verry interesting to be able to do something like this. until recently i had not much knowledge or info on GPS units.

For geocaching and using in your car you may want to get something other then the GPS in the "Into Sports" line that Garmin has to offer. Although they do show a map (the 605 & 705 have nice color screen), the screen is a little small for using in a car or geocaching. They are geared more for collecting data for training like your heart rate, distance, speed, cadence, etc.

i really don't think there is one that works well for all. as the hand helds for geocaching are wonderful and all but small screens for in car. the in car ones are not likely to be durable enough for geocaching.
    however this into sports line might be good motivation for myself to keep pushing and going forward.
    last year i lost 75lbs by watching what i ate and getting active. didnt go anywhere over the winter and no where so far this year either. got sidetracked by the decision to make this move and well i have no one to blame but myself.
    but have started to get active again.

i would give up the car one to have one work for the geocaching and on the bike/hike thing

thanx for the info