Thread: Disc Brake Noise

Default Disc Brake Noise

I've got a 2 year old bike with Avid Juicy 3.5 brakes. Last year everything worked fine and I didn't experience any kind of noise when I applied the rear brakes. This spring, with nothing changed on the bike, I get a terrible squealing noise when I apply the rear brake and if you're really trying to stop in a hurry down a big incline, it vibrates the whole bike. The original pads looked fine, I cleaned the rotor with rubbing alcohol, had a shop look at it, and nothing seems to be wrong. I finaly got a new set of pads even though the originals weren't in need of replacement yet, I figured maybe they were contaminated. With new pads same thing - lots of noise.

The bike stops fine when I need it to, but the noise is annoying and it didn't do it last year. It is also scaring all the little animals and other riders in the forest. The only thing I haven't done is switch the rotor. Maybe that's the next step.

Anybody got any ideas or suggestions?

New brake pads and/or new rotors need to be "bedded" in. Try applying max braking from 10mph to nearly stopped. Repeat 10-15 times.

Do you have the Avid "Roundagon" rotors? I always had problems with those when I used them. I assume these are 160mm?

I have the Avid 160mm G2 Clean Sweep Rotors

apply small amount of grease to back side of pads...... If you have doubts (I did) - reinstall the"old" set with the dab of grease as a test.