Thread: LEADVILLE 100 WHO HAS DONE IT and what advice can you give me?

Default LEADVILLE 100 WHO HAS DONE IT and what advice can you give me?

Hey all...who has done the Leadville 100 MTN bike and what advice do you have for me?
    eek5:

If you're asking I assume you made it in. Congratulations, you're one of the few. I suggest interval training during the week and a long distance ride on the weekend. Try to do as many hills as you possibly can because it's a lot of climbing. Also, make sure to get there a week early to get somewhat used to the altitude. What it lacks in technical (seriously, you could do it on a cyclocross bike easily and most it is dirt road) it makes up in thin air and it's nothing to mess around with. If you need a program here is a good source: lwcoaching.com. Lynda Wallenfels and her company "LW Coaching" sponsors Jeff Kerkove who is on team Topeak/Ergon with Dave Wiens, and Dave is the six time winner of the Leadville. Lynda knows what she's talking about, trust me. I use one of her programs myself. Oh, and buy some butt butter because it's going to become your best friend. For next year might suggest the Breck 100. Thin, and lots of good technical singletrack.
    Last edited by Gunchie; 05-12-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Head over to Healthy Habits and talk with Bruce, he's done it a coupla times and can give you the skinny.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

learn to enjoy riding for a long time.I did alot of gravel road rides in the hilliest areas I could find.Be prepared for some crazy down hills and ride at your ability.Practice what foods you can tolerate.Not sure how much long distance riding you have done but be prepared for anything,rain wind sleet thunder and lightning.But most of all enjoy your time in leadville it is one of the coolest places .Have you got lodging yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Practice what foods you can tolerate.

Great point. Make sure to experiment with your nutrition on your long training rides. I like the Hammer nutriention stuff myself, but it all comes down to personal preference and what you can keep down. Make sure your using a electrolyte, not just water (like HEED). A bottle every hour is a good start. On top of that you need carbs, soy protein to keep muscle from being ate, and a little fat (like Perpetuem). I'm sure there is a vast amount of knowledge if you do a search on mtbr.com.

First of all Good Luck! I am planning to do it next year assuming I am lucky enough to get in and can get in shape for it. I don't have any specific recommendations for Leadville but highly recommend the book "The Mountain Biker's Training Bible" by Joe Friel. I am using it this year to develop a training plan. There's a lot of good info in the book but you have to do your homework. The book does go a bit into high altitude/long distance stuff as well as nutrition.

One alternative view I have read about (not trying to contradict an earlier post because I would tend to agree with that approach) about when to arrive at altitude - some suggest not getting there until the day of or day before the race. Stay at lower altitude as long as possible. Once you're at high altitude your fitness begins to erode, and even if you arrive there a week early and train while you are there, you won't be doing yourself any favors - just training with less oxygen. If you've always trained at lower altitude, better to train as much as you can at low altitude to maintain/increase your max VO2 as much as possible. Unless you can live and train at altitude for a long period of time, a week before the race won't do you any good. I can't speak to this at all from experience, just stuff I've read. And I am sure everyone's metabolism, fitness level, etc. are different.

Also suggest you watch (if you haven't already) the Race Across the Sky movie. I actually just got it on DVD and it's very good. Should at a minimum get you psyched about the race and also give you an idea of what it's like. It focuses more on the elite riders (Lance and Dave) and I wish it would have shown a bit more of the "regular" folks to give you more of a feel, but then it wouldn't be as exciting I guess. There is some of that in the movie. I could potentially loan it to you if you want to watch it. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Honestcox View Post
    One alternative view I have read about (not trying to contradict an earlier post because I would tend to agree with that approach) about when to arrive at altitude - some suggest not getting there until the day of or day before the race. Stay at lower altitude as long as possible. Once you're at high altitude your fitness begins to erode, and even if you arrive there a week early and train while you are there, you won't be doing yourself any favors - just training with less oxygen. If you've always trained at lower altitude, better to train as much as you can at low altitude to maintain/increase your max VO2 as much as possible. Unless you can live and train at altitude for a long period of time, a week before the race won't do you any good. I can't speak to this at all from experience, just stuff I've read. And I am sure everyone's metabolism, fitness level, etc. are different.
    Never thought of it that way. Good point!

If you get there early just be careful not ride too much,it will be a overpowering feeling but it can hurt on race day.

I don't know, the more I think about it the more I believe getting there early is a good idea. Yes, you will exert more energy, but at a change of altitude that big you're probably going to experience some altitude sickness which happens the first day of two you are there. If you show up a day early the chance of getting sick during the race is pretty big. I live in Golden, CO which is at about 5,600 feet and when friends come visit half of them feel at least a mild effect of the altitude difference. The Leadville 100 starts at 10,500 feet and climb 14,000 from there so you'rr definitely going to feel it big time. I went up to Leadville this February for a bike race (lost of Pugsley's, it was cool) and right out the gate felt it big time. At that point I'd lived in Golden for at least 3 months so I was somewhat acclimated. Although the theory behind showing up a day early sounds solid, I just don't know how well it would work. I'd still say show up early to get over the altitude sickness, and if any training is done make sure it's short and low heart rate. Or you could always come to Golden and kind of get used to the altitude there first, and I'd be happy to take you on a tour of the trails we have to offer!