Thread: Basic Wheel Set

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Default Basic Wheel Set

My girlfriend is planning to buy some new wheels as her front one has a bad hub. Tightened it up the other day but lossened up in about ten miles. Planning to purchase these:

Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset w/ Sun Rhyno Lite Rims
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

Yeah they are heavy, but she has disc in front and rim in rear so they accomodate that. And the price is right.

So unless I hear some real negatives, better suggestions, or a good used set is available, will probably buy.

She would be willing to spend $125 if there were real advantages, like they look cooler!!

Thanks
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

These look cool, anyone familar with the brand? Vuelta.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

I have a pair of Vuelta wheels on my old Specialized Rock Hopper. Not the same set you link to in your post - I have the Comp MTB set. I bought mine on ebay a couple years ago, maybe from that same seller actually! As far as the quality, I cannot complain at all. They have been great - have stayed true and took a beating from my heavy butt on the bike. The ones I got have hubs for disc brakes but my old bike had rim brakes - and the Comps worked fine for rim brakes too. (Not sure about the set you mention) One other thing about the Vueltas (at least the ones I have) is that they use flat spokes instead of round spokes. Not sure what the pros and cons are of that, but I am sure Vuelta has some good reasons for it. I am no expert, but I think Vuelta traditionally does more with Road Bikes than mountain bike wheels. But like I said, I cannot complain at all about the set of Vueltas wheels that I have.

I have a set of Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset w/ Sun Rhyno Lite Rims a great heavy set of rims , the spokes came loose after about a week other than that no problems :-)
    Get out and ride !!

Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset w/ Sun Rhyno Lite Rims is a pretty solid wheelset. I have the same expect the hubs are XT. You'd be hard pressed to untrue those rims.