Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND TRIP - Levis Trow Mounds, May 29-31, 2010

Thumbs up MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND TRIP - Levis Trow Mounds, May 29-31, 2010

I know, you have been asking for a while, "Bexter, where are we going this year for Memorial Day?!" Well, AG has been working on this one. Coordinating with our good friends CAMBR up North, this year's Memorial Day weekend trip will be to Levis Trow Mounds in Black River Falls, WI (and a possible stop on the way home on Memorial Day at Blue Mounds). Hoping that our other mtn biking brethren from PAMBA, CORBA, LAMBA, ICORR, etc. may consider joining FORC and CAMBR for a blow-out Memorial Day weekend of fun, friends and riding.

Levis website: http://www.co.clark.wi.us/ClarkCounty/Departments/forestryparks/LevisMound/Bike.asp

Details:
    Meet at AG's house in Davenport (PM me or him for his address if you don't know where he lives) on Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 8:30 AM with a departure time of 9:00 AM. Levis is roughly a 4 hour drive, and in proper FORC fashion, we WILL be stopping for sustenance at a microbrewery on our way up around the Noon hour (not sure if it will be Great Dane Brewery in Madison or a *new* one).

We are camping. Remember 2 years ago, 31 or 32 people all camping at Kettle Moraine, our cookout, Lori and Russ' bourbon glazed grilled pineapple, miles and miles of fantastic riding, and tornadic weather to round out the weekend???? Camp will be set up at the trail head. CAMBR has secured permission for the group camp there. That's a cool deal! There are flush toilets there, and there are showers a few miles away at their official campground.

Ride, ride, ride, drink, eat, ride, drink, ride, drink, eat, sleep.

We will pack up on Monday, May 31, 2010 and head back home and if things work out, we will hit Blue Mounds for a ride on our way back. I BET we MIGHT stop at Grumpy Troll Brewery IF we do get to Mt. Horeb and ride Blue. If you have a fully, you may want to bring it for Blue. I don't know about Levis as I've never ridden there.

Bike passes are required to ride the trails in Wisconsin. You can buy a day pass or an annual pass at the gate.

What we need to know is who is in (please post up) so that we can figure out how many vehicles we need to take and whether we need to haul the bike trailer.

Get your camping gear together, clean out your coolers, buy a new can of bug spray, get your bike maintenance done, make babysitting or puppysitting arrangements, tell the boss you'll be sick on Memorial Day (if you normally would have to work). For the love of God, we are going riding! My goodness, People, this is serious!

This will be nothing short of a phenominal weekend, weather providing. All skill levels welcome. We generally ride in groups based upon speed/skill similarities. You have a significant other who doesn't ride? That's OK. Bring 'em and they can relax while we are riding. Or, maybe we can haze them badly enough that they will ride.

What say you?
    I wanna ride!

SASS and I are there.

Board Position
    Vice President

i go gocycle! away!

I'm in!!

Yep.

Thumbs up

I'd like to join in on the fun. It will be my first trip with the club so let me know what's expected.
    Thanks,

Brian

Sounds fantabulawsome!!

Do you know how much camping room there is? If its just me, no worries. But if I take the whole fam (6 of us) we use a pop-up camper. Any idea if there will be room or if it will be allowed? (Lectricity, etc is not required)

Quote Originally Posted by scsl07 View Post
    It will be my first trip with the club so let me know what's expected.
    Have fun, don't be a hater, and don't get thrown into jail. And have fun. That's pretty much it.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by scsl07 View Post
    I'd like to join in on the fun. It will be my first trip with the club so let me know what's expected.
    Thanks,

Brian
    Have Fun
    Drink Beer
    Ride Bike

You must choose at least two, extra credit given for all three.

Quote Originally Posted by mcwrath View Post
    Sounds fantabulawsome!!

Do you know how much camping room there is? If its just me, no worries. But if I take the whole fam (6 of us) we use a pop-up camper. Any idea if there will be room or if it will be allowed? (Lectricity, etc is not required)
    You probably won't be able to use it on the group site, assuming that's what we do again, but I'm sure there will be facilities at the same campground or close by that you should have no problem setting a camper up.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Sylvan Island

Potosi brewry is right on the way to Black River.
    Last edited by forcmeister; 04-22-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    You probably won't be able to use it on the group site, assuming that's what we do again, but I'm sure there will be facilities at the same campground or close by that you should have no problem setting a camper up.
    Ah, if it is a group campsite that makes sense. We'll probably tent then if we go. Thanks for the info.

Ride, drink beer, and have fun. I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Have fun, don't be a hater, and don't get thrown into jail. And have fun. That's pretty much it.

Rg.
    Sounds like a riot. Looking forward to it. Now where's that dancing banana emoticon?

Ha! You really asked a FORCer to see a dancing banana... like you really wanna see that??!!!????!!!! Bwaaaahaha!
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    President

This is going to be outstanding.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

I wish I never read this thread...Drink one for me, Homies!
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Although this sounds awesome and I'd love to go I regretfully can not. Instead I will spending my time doing two 32 mile laps in the best trails Gunnison, CO has to offer. Afterward I will be enjoying all the Fat Tire beer I can drink and rumor has that Tom Petty will be playing live in downtown Gunnison.

Gunchie, you suck!
    I wanna ride!

CAMBR posted this about the camping at the trail head at Levis:

Talked to Brian Duell, trails manager. No reservations are needed. Camping is $13 per tent/sleeping unit/night. We can setup whereever we want around the trail head -- should be no problem finding room as we can camp in the pines a little ways in or in the back.
    I wanna ride!

I'm in on this one.

I'm in
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Hey, sounds fun! The Browns are in. Levis Trow is a scenic, biking playground. FORCers are gunna Love these trails.

lucy and i will be there

Board Position
    President

5 days and counting. This trip is this coming weekend!!!!! So it's time to figure out what to fill those growlers with check the camping gear and fill the cooler with some grub. If you need a ride or plan on driving and want to fill your car post up! At this point I plan on bringing my trailer and have room for a couple bikes and gear. From the response of this tread and talking to people, this looks like it s going to be a big group. I'll post up later what my final plans will be for leaving and what route I'll be taking up there. Stay tuned! This is going to be a blast!
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.