Thread: Black Partridge

Default Black Partridge

Does anyone have a scouting report on Black Partridge? I am thinking about doing the race there in May, but I haven't ridden there.

Does it compare to any of our trails?

Thanks,
    Ben

I did the Black Partridge race last year and had a blast, even though it was 1000 degrees. It's comparable to SBP in my opinion, primarily flat with a few nice climbs and a couple nice descents. The race course last year was sweet, minus the grassy sections at the start/finish.
    Last edited by SweetSVT99; 04-18-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Rode there on Friday- trails are gorgeous- I know you got skills but in general, things to be aware of:

Lots of bridges with rock approaches, they ride great but if that weirds you out be ready for it.
    Potential for numerous wet creek crossings, they're smooth and solid bottomed, the banks may be a little steeper than what a Novice from up here is used to.
    Know the down up at the very beginning of the Palos trail in Sunder? Lots of that mixed in with quite a few log crossings interspersed on some very cool and flowy stuff.

I think anyone who rides this will come away smiling pretty big!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

My first and only experience with BP was last year at the race. The race WAS my preride. Didn't get there in enough time to actually preride. Oops. Still went Ok but woulda liked to have had an idea what was coming up around the turns. I digress... BP is REALLY fun! Flowy, ups and downs, a few climbs/descents, multiple cool bridges -- FUN!! It kind of reminds me of Sunderbruch but a bit more challenging. I am going down for the weekend leaving Saturday morning after a little grass mowing at home, stay the nite with friends, "race," Sunday, enjoy some camaraderie for a while and then head back home.
    I wanna ride!

Trails are in great shape and are a blast to ride. If you want a race pace tour you may get Stauby to show you around at www.pambamtb.org. Or if you prefer the slow fat guy, that just so happens to live across the street (with beer in the frig) from the trails tour, you can let me know and I will see if it fits into my already hectic schedule.
    Nature loves cheese!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Definitely preride if you plan on racing and are unfamiliar with the trails. BP is a very nice system with something for everyone. Fast descents, long gradual climbs, technical climbs, tight flowy undulating singletrack. Watch the bridges because they can get slick. Also be ready for "the hill" on trail 7. I heard rumors of the trail being rerouting last year so it was rideable in both directions; did this happen since last years race?

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

On Friday the hill on 7 was not rerouted, but everything else was gorgeous. I think this hill is left over from previous illegal trail users and is scheduled to be re-routed, but they didn't want to leave several miles of sweet single track closed just cause one hill wasn't done yet. Can't say I blame them!!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Would like to get down and ride the trail system this weekend. Saturday or Sunday could work for me. If Saturday need to be back in time for Nada's concert at Redstone room. Best scenario for me would be someone without a car but that had gas money!!! I can put three people(including me) and three bikes inside my CRV, and get about 22mpg!
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

FYI for all of those that may travel down to check out the trails. Coal Bank Road, that leads to BPP, is under major construction. It is currently a one way heading north towards the park from town. There will be road closed signs posted for local traffic only, but you may go around them to get to the park.

Keep in mind that you will need to turn north (left) when you leave the park and follow the road away from town to the next right hand turn and make you way back to Metamora and Route 116 towards Peoria and home.
    Nature loves cheese!

Anyone who is or has done this race, how many miles does a lap usual run? shorter or longer than the Stampede race? Im gonna be racing it, but I don't know too much about it.

Here is a link to the expert winner's gps of the race last year. One of the folks dug it up on the Pamba forums yesterday and it gives a good account of mileage, elevation and race course layout. I do not suspect that the course will change much this year since most of the trails out there are utilized.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10875157
    Nature loves cheese!

The Stampede had roughly 4 mile laps, and Novice raced 2 laps, Sport raced 4 laps, etc. BP race last year was roughly 7 or 7.5 miles per lap and Novice did one lap, Sport 2 laps, and 3 laps for Expert. BP has elevation changes whereas Sylvan doesn't.

This was on PAMBA's site -- one of the Expert racers last year posted his Garmin report after the BP race and it shows a rough map, elevation changes, and his respective heart rate. Kind of interesting.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10875157
    I wanna ride!

Hey Bex, you didn't see my post! LOL ;)
    Nature loves cheese!

Ha! Apparently not. I was looking at page 1, apparently missed that there was a page 2... or maybe I'm just extra thorough! Ha ha. Ok, so I'm a dork! Can't wait to ride BP!
    I wanna ride!

You are funny!
    Nature loves cheese!

Only 1,828 ft of climbing in 20.92 miles... I miss IL.