Thread: Trail Conditions, Precipitation, and Common Sense

Default Trail Conditions, Precipitation, and Common Sense

This is Kickapoo Up right before the 36' bridge that we put in 2 weeks ago.

"It's ok to ride through this really wet spot because I'm the only rider out here...no one else will ride this, it's way too wet."

Really?

You do that *once* and you create this:

Selfishness:

Arrogance:

Incompetence:

this huge rut (seriously, I haven't seen a rut this deep in the 4 years I've been doing trail maintenance) was caused by a *single rider*, not from multiple people riding the trail when wet.

as most of you know, we have been fighting, and fighting, and fighting with Kickapoo Up and Down for the better part of 2 years. If you don't know, I ask that you take some time out of your personal schedule and come out and help repair the trails you so enjoy.

I would hope that I'm safe in assuming that this damage was not caused by a FORC member. As a club, this has been a serious topic of discussion for quite some time - Respect Your Trails.

I am posting these pictures and I have taken this particular condescending tone for the readers of this forum that may not be members of FORC, or for any of those out there that choose to think they are above everyone else. "Mudding" as I've seen it called on other local club forums is stupid, arrogant, and detrimental to the reputation and success of all MTB clubs. I work too damn hard, on my own time, to watch this happen again *and* again.

It is because of the acts of a few that punish the whole - we are very, very close to being forced to close this trail permanently.

If the trail is WET, get OFF OF YOUR BIKE and WALK. Plain and simple.

I ask of everyone that reads this post, abide by the trail closures - Sunderbruch is OPEN but Kickapoo Down is CLOSED, hence the chains.

Kickapoo Up remains open - please get out and ride it (up and down), the tread *really* needs tires! - because Ray, Poofy, and myself repaired this section:

The tire tracks are mine, left immediately after we fixed the ruts.

I think the coolest thing to come out of this, is if the rider who blazed the single largest rut known to man would speak up, own up, and come out with a shovel and help fix the problem you created.
    Last edited by jimithng23; 04-13-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added post link
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Question, is the new bridge forcing the water to flow to either side? If not does the bridge need to be longer or maybe your right we might just need to close the trail and build a new one up the hill more.

JB

no the bridge is not forcing water to flow to either side.

this rut was caused by one rider who thought he/she was more important than everybody else on that particular day.

when we were repairing the rut, the tread was rock solid. this 12' section of trail is not a "problem area" as far as drainage is concerned. it became a "problem area" because of the water pooling in the rut, causing the rest of the area to be water logged.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Just a suggestion, but could we make some signs that hang from the chains that explain why the trail is closed off? This may deter some uninformed riders who may otherwise step over the chain. There is no way will be able to stop it completely. There will always be idiots who have no regard for anyone or anything else. However, we may be able to encourage people to think about it before hopping over the chain.

Matt Collier

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier809 View Post
    Just a suggestion, but could we make some signs that hang from the chains that explain why the trail is closed off? This may deter some uninformed riders who may otherwise step over the chain. There is no way will be able to stop it completely. There will always be idiots who have no regard for anyone or anything else. However, we may be able to encourage people to think about it before hopping over the chain.

Matt Collier
    There is no question that signage should be there, just keep in mind that even dug in signs get destroyed and now it appears "they" may have stolen the whole friggin kiosk!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Is it possible to remove the entrance/exits to the paved trail from the up/down trails and connect them creating a loop? It may be easier to keep people off them when they are closed since they would have an alternative trail to take when they are at the top and come to the closed chains. This way you also don't loose all of your hard work.

It would be a bummer to always have to go to the top to start, but I think it is all I have ever done since the trail seems to always be closed.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

My assessment of the situation is that these areas are natural groundwater seeps and will never completely dry. In the past two years I have ridden at Sunderbruch these and other similar spots have remained at some level of wetness/softness throughout the year. Even if you move the trail these spots are going to show up. If you armour/corduroy these spots they get worse because the water flows around the feature and lengthens the wet spot. In my mind, the best solution is to build bridges over them and let them drain as they would naturally while keeping people off the soft ground. Yes, this a lot of work, but it will permanently fix the problem.

I think there is another issue here that we need to look at if these trails are to be fixed. There will always be people who have no regard for the trail conditions and will ride them when they are prone to damage. All the signs and chains in the world will not stop them. If one rider is all it takes to cause that much damage, the trail needs to be improved.

If you need any help let me know and I will do what I can.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Keep it light and let people know we feel their pain, then try and give them an outlet to help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Value Oriented Cyclist