Thread: Trail Conditions, Precipitation, and Common Sense

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trail Conditions, Precipitation, and Common Sense

This is Kickapoo Up right before the 36' bridge that we put in 2 weeks ago.

"It's ok to ride through this really wet spot because I'm the only rider out here...no one else will ride this, it's way too wet."

Really?

You do that *once* and you create this:

Selfishness:

Arrogance:

Incompetence:

this huge rut (seriously, I haven't seen a rut this deep in the 4 years I've been doing trail maintenance) was caused by a *single rider*, not from multiple people riding the trail when wet.

as most of you know, we have been fighting, and fighting, and fighting with Kickapoo Up and Down for the better part of 2 years. If you don't know, I ask that you take some time out of your personal schedule and come out and help repair the trails you so enjoy.

I would hope that I'm safe in assuming that this damage was not caused by a FORC member. As a club, this has been a serious topic of discussion for quite some time - Respect Your Trails.

I am posting these pictures and I have taken this particular condescending tone for the readers of this forum that may not be members of FORC, or for any of those out there that choose to think they are above everyone else. "Mudding" as I've seen it called on other local club forums is stupid, arrogant, and detrimental to the reputation and success of all MTB clubs. I work too damn hard, on my own time, to watch this happen again *and* again.

It is because of the acts of a few that punish the whole - we are very, very close to being forced to close this trail permanently.

If the trail is WET, get OFF OF YOUR BIKE and WALK. Plain and simple.

I ask of everyone that reads this post, abide by the trail closures - Sunderbruch is OPEN but Kickapoo Down is CLOSED, hence the chains.

Kickapoo Up remains open - please get out and ride it (up and down), the tread *really* needs tires! - because Ray, Poofy, and myself repaired this section:

The tire tracks are mine, left immediately after we fixed the ruts.

I think the coolest thing to come out of this, is if the rider who blazed the single largest rut known to man would speak up, own up, and come out with a shovel and help fix the problem you created.
    Last edited by jimithng23; 04-13-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added post link
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."