Thread: Motobecane?

Default Motobecane?

I'm considering buying this bike, but i'm unsure if it is too good to be true (comparing to a Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo for about $1300.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../fly_pro_x.htm

Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturer (that isn't based on a bike they have 30 years ago - haha)?

Ben

This bike looks like such a good deal because basically you are paying for just the parts. The frame probably cost a fraction of a cent to make. My guess is you will feel this lack of quality in the frame when you ride, so its up to you. Good ride quality or good parts. You won't get both with this bike. My suggestion is support your local bike shop, buy a Hoo Koo E Koo, and slowly upgrade the parts if you are unhappy with them to help you appreciate the difference they make in your ride. Don't expect a fun time dealing with any sort of warranty issue that might arise with the Motobecane either.

Nate

I know of a particular rider in this club that would tear pretty much everybody apart on his motobecane...and he's done it for years. It's not the bike, it's the rider. ;)
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I considered these bikes when I was shopping for a fully. Most of the reviews on MTBR were pretty good. Although most of the components aren't totally high end, a sub 22 lb xc bike is very tempting. You should consider the pain in the neck if something were to go wrong w/ the bike. As an example, I bought a SID world cup from my fav LBS. I'm on my third one. The longest I've gone w/o a bike because of the messed up fork is two days. My LBS took very good care of the problem, even though it was a Rock Shox issue and not theirs. I must add, the SID can be a sweet, sweet fork, but even with the 32mm stanchions, it is flexy. My advice on the fork is not to run a tire over 1.95 if you weigh over 155 lbs, the tire will rub the sides of the crown otherwise. I weighed around 160 when I was riding those SIDs. I'd suggest taking the SID off right away, sell it for what you can get and buy a REBA or a Fox.

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but have you considered buying a new or used frame? My first couple bikes I had upgraded so many parts, I just moved them to the new frame.

In my search for a full suspension xc bike, I ended up w/ another Yeti I bought used. It was like $660 for the frame, fox f100, king headset, xt front derailleur, and seat post clamp. I bought a build kit(full sram x-9, it included wheels)and finished the bike for less than half retail. It weighs just under 27 lbs, and could easily be made lighter by swapping some stuff off my other Yeti. That said, if I'm not after something exotic, I definitely go to my local bike shop first. Besides, you can test ride those bikes.

I agree w/Mielke, it's not the bike, it's the rider. A light bike doesn't hurt though. Just sayin.

-HW

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

I don't know who BD83 is so I just want to mention that some of the riders in the 180+ range have had bad times with the Sid flexing to the point the wheel rubs on the for leg.

This was the early 09 version and effected the race and the team, and I hear they've changed the casting to make it better, just someing to check on, and I try to support my LBS, too- cause they can make it much less expensive in the long run.

Riders are fast, Bikes are expensive.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Thanks for all the feedback. I ordered a bike from a LBS.