Thread: River levels for Stampede

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Default River levels for Stampede

NOAA has river level predictions for the Mississippi in the same pool as Sylvan Island.

On Sylvan Island, we start getting water on the lime path on the downstream side of the island at about 14ft. At 14.5 the wood and shingle bike bridge gets water over both ends and the middle starts wanting to float. At 15 ft, we have water on numerous places on the interior of the island and at 21 feet, the water is up to the bottom of the bridge going to the island.

So far we're looking pretty good for the race this year due to the low rainfall in the last 2 weeks. If you want to keep up with what the river heights are doing so you can plan to help out if we need a bunch of bridges, the prediction scale is located here:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrog...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

-Vibrato

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Here it comes again!

JB

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

The water is definitely rising. We may need to bridge the mid island bridge. It was half submerged as of tonight. Yesterday water was only covering two feet or so of the exit ramp.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

So far the water is from the rain, not the river levels. After we stirred up the muck at last years race it settled into the crevices and the water doesn't drain as well as it used to in about 3 areas.

At 14.5 we could be close to a real problem on the downstream side that's gonna put one side of the lime track under water! We can plank and reroute around the wet spots, (we've done both before) and maybe we can lift the end of the bridge 6 inches and make a drop there. Should have plenty of speed...
    Last edited by Vibrato; 04-08-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Let's have a drop!
    I wanna ride!