Thread: single speed gear

Default single speed gear

can someone help me to choose a gear for your race i plan on racing expert and i race a ss but i never rode your coarse any advice would be great thanks mitch

Like most things, it depends... in this case it depends on if you like spinning or stomping. The SS standard of 2:1 for a 26 is fine for most folks - 32:16, etc. 'Course for a 29 you'd bump it a couple, say 32:18. Fast cats roll their 29er 32:16 on Sylvan, but that's too tall for me...

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Sylvan is flat, very flat. On my 29er SS I ride the typical 32:18 and felt like I had the wrong gear. During normal riding it's ok, but racing it sucked, especially out on the open sections. I won't be at Sylvan this year, but if I were to be there I'd be riding at least a 34:18 or 32:16. If you race a lot of SS, you are probably riding that gearing, so I think a good rule of thumb would be: Take whatever you are riding and step it up one or two.
    Last edited by SweetSVT99; 03-06-2010 at 11:55 PM.

If you dont want to be slow. I would ride 32-15, like I did a few years ago on a two9er. And I was still spinning out on the far side of the island. -Huck