Thread: bike help please

Default bike help please

Hello! I need some help! I have a small addiction to mountain biking like most around here do as well. I have 2 boys age 15 and 7. Both are in need of new bikes!! So I got the ok from the boss(my wife) to find them both bikes. We have been to some bike shops already and my younger son has found he likes the 20 inch mountian bikes and realistically that should last him a few good years in my opinion.

However my older son is much pickier and stuborn. He would like a dirt jump/urban type of bike. He also doesn't necessarily care for gears and wouldn't mind having it be a single speed. This type of bike seems to be pretty popular as of late and for what you get they seem kind of pricey. So does anyone have any opinions on quality dirt jump bikes? Any brands I should look at or stay away from? I am also trying to keep it relatively inexpensive but do know that for good quality you have to spend some $$!!

Anyway thanks in advance for you help!

depending on how much you want to spend, i believe that B&H in rocktown has an EASTERN TRAILDIGGER which is actually a 24" bike but is the style that you are talking. designed around kids and jumps. not really a mountain bike per say but not a 20" bmxer either. (close though). then i would say next in line would be maybe the fisher mullet. it is a geared bike and a rider in the club rides one regularly, trails and street. likes it from what i know.

without going"over the top" it is going to be hard to get him on a true "jumper" as they are super pricey even in the lowest stages. another option is ebay. i know, i know support your lbs. (i did) i personally bought a bad a** jumper (in my opinion) comlete off ebay for about $280 plus shipping. there's no way possible i could touch this bike new for under a grand........ just know what you're looking for so you dont get taken. find a friend if you need to.

good luck in your search.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

here are some dj's i've found:

Commencal Max Max- single speed, full rigid, $599 msrp
    Giant Brass 1- geared, 100mm fork, full disc, $650 msrp
    Haro Steel reserve 1.2-single speed, 80mm fork, rear disc, $675msrp
    khs dj 200- geared, 100mm fork, full disc, $749 msrp
    kona shred-geared, 100mm fork, full disc, $749 msrp

Healthy Habits is a haro dealer, and Bike and Hike can get you a Giant. The others you're gonna have to hunt around for online.

I have a khs that I bought on ebay. I beat the crap out of that thing, and it has held up pretty well. I'd check craig's list too. I've seen Specialized P2's here and there for under $400. It's going to be difficult to find a lbs(local bike shop) with a dj in stock.

Hope this helps at least a little.

-HW

did the brass replace the stp, or come in as an under dog? havent been in the books lately. i know that the stp is a bad a** ride. haro also has the thread line which is near the steel reserve but in an aluminum (lighter) frame.

there are tons of suitable rides on the market at this moment as the jumping/urban geometry is becoming ever more popular. they are used as beginner downhills/slopestyle rides too. keep lookin, you'll find "the right one for you." or him.

edit : rode a SUPERCO at rays last year and would say that is one smooth ride also. they are on the pricier side of things but they are hand made in the usa and not on a production line.
    Last edited by dru_b; 02-19-2010 at 09:29 AM.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Thanks for the input! Lots of good ideas. I too want to support my local LBS but its hard not to check online with the prices you can find. I would like to find a geared bike but he seems to think he wants a single speed. Then again he is a young kid he has much more energy than me I need my gears. Anyway I have seen a mullet and a stp he seemed to like. Anybody heard of the Trek Bruiser? Any opinions? Again thanks for all your input and help!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

how about a Haro Thread 8 for $699?
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

If he's wanting a DJ bike I'd stick with a singlespeed. No chain slap and less maintenance. I second the opinion on the Superco. I love that bike, but not even I am willing to pay that much for a DJ for myself. I wouldn't go to cheap. Think of it this way: back breaks on landing = expensive hospital bill. I guess it depends how hard he's going to ride it though.