Thread: Recommendations on tires for the local trails

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by DH001 View Post
    With that said, tire choice is highly dependent on riding style and everyone is going to have different ideas on what is right for them.

Well put.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Been through pirhanas, werewulfs, veloci-rapters,nevagals, fire xc, jones xc, irc serac's etc and I personally feel like I'm still searchiing for my favorite tire. The lightest tires were the jonses at 440 grams each, they work on pavement and clean hardpack but if you leave the ground they'll pinch when you land. Did this during my weight weenie phase and started breaking stuff every ride.

I have always had a severe problem with tires rolling over on me in hard corners or puking the tube when landing no matter the pressure, of course I'm on my 3rd frame, too, so it's not like they're being babied.

Very Late fall I just put on tubelwess ready (NOT UST) Conti Mountain Kings with the black chili compound and kevlar reinforced sidewalls on tubeless, 2.4 in front and 2.2 in back.-Quite spendy, not as heavy as you might think for tires this size.

So far I like the sidewall action and the traction is good. I have concerns about knob walk on the 2.4 because the knobs are quite tall and may flex more than I like, but the confidence in the sidewall action is what I have been looking for in most tires and these seem great so far.

From reading and experience, I think for the majority of riders tires are like beer, you just want one that doesn't suck for your riding style. the level of traction for every tire listed in this thread is prolly real close to each other for people who ride a certain way.

Buy a tire that has sidewalls that will handle your weight and abuse, get a brand that has bee used locally, and ride dat bastud like it owes you big money.
    The old coot from Mountain bike mag had some good advice for all riders about tires- he says over time we don't check pressure, or we add some for this ride not realizing we added some for this ride the last time we were there, lose some for that ride not realizing ..., pretty soon we can't remember what pressure worked the best for us.

So, pump a little higher pressure than what you think you want, start taking out 2 pounds of pressure every ride until it starts getting worse, then add 2 pounds and go. This'll make the most out of whatever tire you buy!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.