Thread: Recommendations on tires for the local trails

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2 more cents from me... My bike came with Bontrager Jones tires on it and I hated them. If the trail was moist at all, my front tire kept sliding out and coming up out of a creek crossing they were slick as snot. I ended up buying some big knobby tires, Michellin Mounaint AT expert, and they did really well for me, although I found it's the opposite of what more experienced riders are going for. I don't care, I like 'em and that's what matters. As stated above, there is no one right tire. With that said, the Kenda Nevegal is listed as the #1 tire 4 years running by Mountain Bike Action Magazine. With all the different reviews above, I guess I'm going to rethink the small blocks.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

@russhole - I've been running the Nev as a front tire for nearly a year and I love it. IMO, its a little too much for a rear for our local trails. the SB8 has great traction around here *as a rear tire* in my experience.

it seems as though the trend is to try to run as low pressure as you can get away with to get maximum traction...that's why you're seeing more and more riders going to the 2.4 up front - more volume, lower pressure = greater traction with minimal loss in rolling resistance.

be weary of larger publications like MBA and their recommendations. I would be willing to be a good amount of money that in the issue saying the Nevegal is the best tire, Kenda took out a few full page ads - gotta support your biggest advertisers!

what I'm liking about this thread - everyone is talking about a common theme: find what works for *you* and stick with it. what works for Vibrato and his riding style, may not work for AG, but may work for you, and so on.

there are simply too many variables to make a blanket statement on tires.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    what I'm liking about this thread - everyone is talking about a common theme: find what works for *you* and stick with it. what works for Vibrato and his riding style, may not work for AG, but may work for you, and so on.

Yep. If this were MTBR someone would be complaining and throwing a fit. Tapper881, I feel your pain. I just converted one of my bikes into tubeless using the stan's kit and found out two of my tires needed to be patched on the sidewalls. Now I'm rethinking my choice of tires for the terrain I'm in and what tire should I choose. Trust me, you can spend a lot of time researching what tire to buy. Nevegal in front and SB8 in back sounds pretty solid though.