Thread: ss gear ratios

Question ss gear ratios

need some information from all you singlespeeders out there. i am thinking about converting my old giant yukon geared into a ss and was wondering what your gearing combinations are. also, what type of rear gear is a better call, the single gear with spacers or a freewheel type. not too fimiliar with ss parts these days.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

It depends on where you're riding and what type of rider you are. Loud Thunder begs for a lower gear than Sylvan. Some people mash, others spin.

That being said, a 2:1 ratio is a good place to start for 26" wheels. You probably have a 32 tooth middle ring, so use a 16 tooth cog. Ride it, see what you think. I'm riding a 34/18 on my Bonty (both SS and Fixed), and am converting the 29er to SS using 32/18, but I tend to go for a little lower gear than most SS. (BTW, rule of thumb for 29" - add two teeth to cog to match 26" ratio, so a 32/18 29" is similar to 32/16 26")

As far as how to go about it, that depends on what components you have. I assume if you are converting your Yukon, you plan to use the existing parts. If so, all you need is a chain tensioner and spacers with a cog splined for a cassette hub. Gusset makes a good gear/spacer kit; Surly's singlulater is a decent tensioner.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.