Thread: Magicshine Light

Default Magicshine Light

So has anyone heard about this light? They claim 900 lumens at a run-time of 3 hours for $85! I did a little searching and it seems like it's more like 550 lumens and 2 hours, but still, that's incredible for $85! I had to see this for myself so I bought one. Not out too much money if it sucks.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

Let me know how it works so I can get one if it's cool!!

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Here is a few reviews on Magic shine lights

http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks...s.dx/sku.25149

Funny, that's the site I bought mine at. It was like 80 with free shipping. I agree, it does sound too good to be true. I checked out the MTBR forum and a lot of people really like them (and yes, I know you have to take anything said on that site with a grain of salt). Like I said, I'm not out much if it sucks. Always good to have a backup light anyway. I'll compare it to my L&M Seca 900 and let you know what I think.
    Last edited by Gunchie; 11-21-2009 at 10:37 AM.

I seen people talking about it on MTBR also and was considering buying one. 'Cause you know...I use my current lights so often I need another one.

First off, DON'T buy the light from dealextreme.com. I waited over a month and still didn't receive the light. I got my money back and ordered one at geomangear.com this Monday (The same week of xmas no less) and received the light on Wednesday. Highly recommand buying from this site. The first thing I did was compared the Magicshine to my Seca 900. My Seca destroyed it in both brightness and flood pattern, but for 6X the price it better. I then compared it to my Stella 180 (180 Lumuns) I bought for $130 a year or two ago. The Magicshine for only $90 (shipping included) destroyed my Stella. It isn't a 900 lumen light, but it is way brighter then any light you could buy for $90. The battery is small enough to fit in my Camelbak's IPod pocket and it wasn't too heavy on my helmet. I also has a nice big button so it's easy to push with gloves on. The quality was better then I expected too. In my option BUY THIS LIGHT. You will not find a better light for the price.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Good info Gunch, i love my trinewt on the handlebar, but at times it would be nice to have a helmet lite to complement it. The trinewts a li'l heavy for a helmet light on long night rides. Sounds like You're saying magicshine is the one to get?

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Yep. If you go with the "racers special" you get a helmet mount and extra battery for $125. It's worth it just for the extra battery. If you don't like the quality of the helmet mount you can get the helmet mount for the Seca at lightandmotion.com. That is the mount I use. I used the light for about 45 min - 1 hr last time and it didn't give me any neck pain. The light head of the Magicshine is the 110 grams compared to 216 of the TriNewt. That .23 lbs of difference could definitely be the difference of a sore neck or not. Try it out. It could be the helmet light you use for the 24 hours of Moab you could do as a duo with your favorite Golden, CO living friend... just sayin'.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    It could be the helmet light you use for the 24 hours of Moab you could do as a duo with your favorite Golden, CO living friend... just sayin'.

If I do 24 hours of Moab, I'm either doing it alone or as a foursome- that duo stuff is for the birds, I barely get calmed down and cold and I gotta go again- to hell with that!! We need 2 more doods.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    If I do 24 hours of Moab, I'm either doing it alone or as a foursome- that duo stuff is for the birds, I barely get calmed down and cold and I gotta go again- to hell with that!! We need 2 more doods.
    I'm in...if you want a slow non-skilled wuss of a rider on your team
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Absolutely! The Ellsworth would be a great bike in Moab!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Absolutely! The Ellsworth would be a great bike in Moab!
    which one?
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Get out and ride !!

so what's the word on this light? i hear some people have problems with it dying in the middle of a ride?

I haven't had any issues with mine. Get the racers special at geomangear.com which comes with a helmet mount and extra battery. That way if one battery goes out you have a spare. It's a really bright light for cheap so of course it's going to have quality control issues, but that's what a warranty is for. Looks like they have a 1400 lumen version too now.

A couple days ago I used my MagicShine 900 for the first time this year. To my dismay the light brightness had sufficiently degraded. I contacted geomangear.com and this is what they had to say:
    "It's approximately a year old so the 90 day manufacturers warranty has expired. We'd like to help out by giving you a 50% discount coupon so that defective lighthead can be replaced for $22.50."

Most company's would have left me with nothing, but geomangear.com stepped up. Also, I'd like to point out that the issue I had of the LED burning out has been taken care of by the new Magicshine lights that have a quote "integrated control circuit to protect against overheating".

Tired of being "that guy", so I ordered one of these today. For anyone reading this thread from the start, current prices are about $10 higher than last year.

Guys, just passing on the information that I heard out here in Cali. If you purchased a Magicshine from www.geomangear.com, they released the following message:

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=180

"GeoManGear has temporarily discontinued sales of Magicshine lightsets due to our concerns regarding the quality of Magicshine's lithium-ion battery packs. We are working with the manufacturer to quickly resolve these issues and will begin selling Magicshine products again after we have obtained a high-quality battery pack for our customers. If you wish to be notified when we have new Magicshine or comparable lightsets available, please click here to place your name on our waiting list."

Apparantly there is issues with the safety of the battery and Geoman is recommending to stop use of the light until they fix the battery issues. Here is a link to a MTB forum with discussions about the light.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...-light-27.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=666617