Thread: GROUP RIDE - Sunderbruch, Thursday 11/12/09 @ 6pm!

Default GROUP RIDE - Sunderbruch, Thursday 11/12/09 @ 6pm!

Break out the lights, for the first nobody left behind FORC Group Ride - IN THE DARK! -

We will be meeting in the parking lot at about 6pm and heading out for some nighttime MTB fun!

Remember that FORC Group Rides are casual, beginners are encouraged to join us. If you have never ridden at night and are interested, this is a great time to check it out.

I'd like to ride but don't have a light. Does anyone have one I can borrow or will I be alright if I get in between two people with lights?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
    I'd like to ride but don't have a light. Does anyone have one I can borrow or will I be alright if I get in between two people with lights?
    I didn't bring my bike today 'cause I thought everyone would be at Bent River drinking, so I can let you borrow my light. How would I get it back?
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

russ, ride is tomorrow so you still have time to grab that bike if ya so choose.

squirrel.... buy a small powerful flashlight to strap on yer head (use zip ties) and then yes, inbetween 2 people with good lights would work. gunchie has made it work for him.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Quote Originally Posted by dru_b View Post
    russ, ride is tomorrow so you still have time to grab that bike if ya so choose.

squirrel.... buy a small powerful flashlight to strap on yer head (use zip ties) and then yes, inbetween 2 people with good lights would work. gunchie has made it work for him.
    Thanks for the info. I'll bring my bike tomorrow for sure. Andy, I guess I'll need my light after all sorry. You can use my handle bar mount though. It sucks, but it's better than nothin'.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Sounds good, thanks.

The ride shows "nobody left behind" ride tomorrow and was interested in trying the night ride. I've never been on any trails before and was talking to Manny at the Trek store and he convinced me to just go out and ride a trail. I rode SBP last Sunday for the first time ever and was wondering which trails you normally ride on? Like a kid in a candystore, I rode one of the green trails for 2 hrs by myself. I accidentally turned on to a blue trail and since it was my first time on a trail of any kind, rode until the trails merged again. I wasn't sure if I slowed the two that caught up to me, so pulling off to the side was the only thing I could do. I jumped back on and tried to keep up, but there was no way. I don't want to slow the experienced riders who set out on the first ever night ride so I was wondering what I'm getting in to. Again, interested in riding with you all, but don't want to frustrate any of the experienced riders for maybe going slower then they would normally go. If I have to maybe I'll just sit back and bring the and watch and learn...

This is a one of the biggest reasons we do the group rides, so newer riders can meet up with more experienced riders and learn what we are all about.

Of course, there is that ride your bike and drink beer thing too...

This is indeed a "nobody left behind" ride. Don't let the possibility of having faster guys get upset with you, that's not how FORC rolls.

Make sure to bring a headlight!

Quote Originally Posted by nu2trails View Post
    The ride shows "nobody left behind" ride tomorrow and was interested in trying the night ride. I've never been on any trails before and was talking to Manny at the Trek store and he convinced me to just go out and ride a trail. I rode SBP last Sunday for the first time ever and was wondering which trails you normally ride on? Like a kid in a candystore, I rode one of the green trails for 2 hrs by myself. I accidentally turned on to a blue trail and since it was my first time on a trail of any kind, rode until the trails merged again. I wasn't sure if I slowed the two that caught up to me, so pulling off to the side was the only thing I could do. I jumped back on and tried to keep up, but there was no way. I don't want to slow the experienced riders who set out on the first ever night ride so I was wondering what I'm getting in to. Again, interested in riding with you all, but don't want to frustrate any of the experienced riders for maybe going slower then they would normally go. If I have to maybe I'll just sit back and bring the and watch and learn...

Awesome! It sounds like a great time. Do you recommend the taillight or is the headlight all that is needed...

No need for a taillight on the trail.

of course, by all means should you get your bike out and join the festivities. newb or not. we all started out as newb's at some point and have chosen to progress due to the awesomely fun nature of the mountain biking action... everyone is encouraged to attend, even if you need a flashlight duct taped to your bars for the first time.

NIGHTRIDING IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE, that should be enjoyed by all. here's to seeing you there...... (even though i don't drink) hfdb's.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

See you guys there!
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

There should be at least one extra set of lights out there tonight for anyone that wants to come out but doesn't have any!

Both sets of extra lights I am bringing are spoken for now...

I didn't bother to get a count, because I was too interested in riding my bike...but I'm told that there were at least 15 riders with lights strapped to their bikes tonight. Thanks to everyone for coming out, what a great ride!!

AG also introduced an interesting concept: Movie night at SBP. Granted it was on a 6" screen...

I'm a little late posting from last night but wanted to say what an awesome ride it was at night! I hope I didn't slow down too many that were caught behind me. I tried to keep up with who was in front of me and for the second time on the trails there were times I thought I was heading down the side!
    What a rush!! Heading down a trail with tunnel vision and catching up with the riders in front then coming to an abrupt stop and trying to get going again and do it all over. I have to apologize for wearing white and blinding the rider behind me. I"ll have to remember that next time. Speaking of that. When is the next night ride?

I'm a little late posting from last night but wanted to say what an awesome ride it was at night! I hope I didn't slow down too many that were caught behind me. I tried to keep up with who was in front of me and for the second time on the trails there were times I thought I was heading down the side!
    What a rush!! Heading down a trail with tunnel vision and catching up with the riders in front then coming to an abrupt stop and trying to get going again and do it all over. I have to apologize for wearing white and blinding the rider behind me. I"ll have to remember that next time. Speaking of that. When is the next night ride?
    glad you had a ton of fun. night riding is a whole different experience, especially when you're just starting out! keep an eye out on the forum as I am sure the next night ride will be posted soon enough.

That was me, I was just giving you crap. It isn't your fault I have the sun strapped to my helmet!

Thanks for coming out, and just for the record, you are a much better rider than you give yourself credit for. You definitely didn't slow anyone up!