Thread: Winter Fat Bike Clothing

Default Winter Fat Bike Clothing

So... I don't want to go through another winter of riding in jeans... what does everyone wear when they stomp? I've been looking at climbing pants from Patagonia, etc with thermals/tights on underneath. I've seen some of you ride with just shorts and tights on, how well does that fare?

I stomp with a pair of Patagonia merino wool tights or Smart Wool tights - ultra thin, move well, don't bunch, and although very thin keep me very warm. Believe what you read about merino wool - the stuff works and you can wear it multiple times before it begins to stink.

Depending on level of snow/water/rain of that day's ride, I'll wear either a pair of cheap Wrangler cargos if it's dry or North Face Freedom ski pants if it's a bit colder or wet. The NF pants have the windstopper material (they aren't insulated as I would think the insulation would cause overheating), zippered side vents; they breathe very well, keep me dry, and have served me well. I have a pair of Under Armor polyester tights but I don't like 'em cuz they get *too* warm during a stomp.

Stop ^ there for the answer to your question. Continue on if you have some time to kill...like me, sitting at my desk on a beautiful Saturday morning, stuck at work, caffeinated out of my mind.

Up top I use a thin merino wool base. I'll then throw on a polyester long sleeve Patagonia capilene or jersey, whatever's clean that day. If it's *really* cold, I have thicker Patagonia capilenes. Outer layer is a North Face Sentinel. Very thin, form-fitting jacket with Windstopper. You'd look at this jacket and say "there's no way you stay warm in that" and I'd believe you *but* that windstopper stuff is legit. Keep the wind out, insulate with a thin wool base and you're money baby.

Boots are North Face Chilkats...did a great job; never over heated (even though they're 400g insulated) and kept me dry but they're a bit bulky. They're getting replaced this year with a set of Salomon's w/Gore Tex - they're slimmer profiled, lighter, and better tread to grip my pedals. Really looking forward to trying these boots out.

For my hands I use a pair of Specialized cold-weather riding gloves with windstopper. They work great but reach their limit when the temps drop under 20*. For those days I layer over with a pair of North Face ski gloves.

For the noggin I use a GoreWear skull cap, a GoreWear "Cobra Commander" facemask (if it's really windy), and a Bern "Red" snowboarding helmet. Wrap up the eyes with a set of Smith goggles. Fully wrapped, I can't feel any wind at all. It's amazing. Other more fortunate men simply grow beards.

I used this system all last winter and never did I wish I was warmer and, maybe even better, I never overheated.

Some may read all this and think overkill. I look at it and think "I enjoyed every single second I was on my bike through the winter and I *HATE* the cold." I finally found a system that works for me.

Cold weather gear is worth it's weight in gold, IMNSHO...and, nearly everything I use was purchased 2nd hand. There's no way I'd pay full retail prices for that gear - even though it's damn near worth it.

Great deals can be found on eBay...or, if you want brand new keep an eye on Steep and Cheap.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    I stomp with a pair of Patagonia merino wool tights or Smart Wool tights - ultra thin, move well, don't bunch, and although very thin keep me very warm. Believe what you read about merino wool - the stuff works and you can wear it multiple times before it begins to stink.

Depending on level of snow/water/rain of that day's ride, I'll wear either a pair of cheap Wrangler cargos if it's dry or North Face Freedom ski pants if it's a bit colder or wet. The NF pants have the windstopper material (they aren't insulated as I would think the insulation would cause overheating), zippered side vents; they breathe very well, keep me dry, and have served me well. I have a pair of Under Armor polyester tights but I don't like 'em cuz they get *too* warm during a stomp.

Stop ^ there for the answer to your question. Continue on if you have some time to kill...like me, sitting at my desk on a beautiful Saturday morning, stuck at work, caffeinated out of my mind.

Up top I use a thin merino wool base. I'll then throw on a polyester long sleeve Patagonia capilene or jersey, whatever's clean that day. If it's *really* cold, I have thicker Patagonia capilenes. Outer layer is a North Face Sentinel. Very thin, form-fitting jacket with Windstopper. You'd look at this jacket and say "there's no way you stay warm in that" and I'd believe you *but* that windstopper stuff is legit. Keep the wind out, insulate with a thin wool base and you're money baby.

Boots are North Face Chilkats...did a great job; never over heated (even though they're 400g insulated) and kept me dry but they're a bit bulky. They're getting replaced this year with a set of Salomon's w/Gore Tex - they're slimmer profiled, lighter, and better tread to grip my pedals. Really looking forward to trying these boots out.

For my hands I use a pair of Specialized cold-weather riding gloves with windstopper. They work great but reach their limit when the temps drop under 20*. For those days I layer over with a pair of North Face ski gloves.

For the noggin I use a GoreWear skull cap, a GoreWear "Cobra Commander" facemask (if it's really windy), and a Bern "Red" snowboarding helmet. Wrap up the eyes with a set of Smith goggles. Fully wrapped, I can't feel any wind at all. It's amazing. Other more fortunate men simply grow beards.

I used this system all last winter and never did I wish I was warmer and, maybe even better, I never overheated.

Some may read all this and think overkill. I look at it and think "I enjoyed every single second I was on my bike through the winter and I *HATE* the cold." I finally found a system that works for me.

Cold weather gear is worth it's weight in gold, IMNSHO...and, nearly everything I use was purchased 2nd hand. There's no way I'd pay full retail prices for that gear - even though it's damn near worth it.

Great deals can be found on eBay...or, if you want brand new keep an eye on Steep and Cheap.
    Thanks! This is perfect. I'll be purchasing some merino wool stuff, for sure.

Silk glove liners are amazing. Also flannel is warm.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

hey good thread keep the info coming, cause giving me a list of options and ideas for how to gear up better for winter riding (even though not a fatty, just my 29er this year :( ) Was fighting to figure this out last year with some success, could ride till it got below 20.

Can say for sure, I love my bontrager gloves. Windproof full fingered ones. Going to get the insulated ones as soon as I can since I can join in on weekend fun with you guys this year.

My setup is essentially the same as jimi's, with the exception of 45NRTH Wolvhammer Boots (I still use clipless in the winter), and BarMitts (which allow me to use regular summer gloves, usually even half-fingers).

I have this article taped onto my fridge just as a starting point:
    Winter Layering Done Right: How to Dress for Cycling in Cold Weather

It's all about being like an onion. Layers! On the legs, it's tights according to how cold it is like mentioned before. I use knee and leg warmers over tights to dial things. Up top, I start with a breathable long sleeve base (think Under Armour, but off brand so you're not paying as much), then a typical short sleeve jersey, thin wind breaker vest, then thin wind breaker jacket or slightly thicker (but still thin) fleece jacket. Arm warmers can be used if really cold. If I get hot, I can easily take off vest, jacket, or arm warmers. I have various bike specific gloves for different temps, but when it's really cold I use ski gloves. I have heard great things about BarMitts, but I'm too lazy to switch between all my bikes on various days. For shoes, I took an old pair of biking shoes and a old pair of thermal shoe covers, and then used a glue gun to put them together. I then glued toe covers over that. Just don't glue the heel area or you won't be able to get the shoes on. I also replaced the insoles with thermal insoles: Thermal Insole. On the head, I use a thin Pearl Izumi skull cap. Just remember, you want to start off a little cold because you will warm up quickly. If you start off too warm, you're going to sweat, and no matter what high tech fabric you have you're going to be wet and REALLY cold. When things get really really cold, toe and hand warmers FTW. If you buy winter gear in the middle of the summer you can get it super cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A little nip o' whiskey now and then always helps to take the edge off as well.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    A little nip o' whiskey now and then always helps to take the edge off as well.
    This is probably the best advice so far. I need a King Cage flask and cage.

nah...just carry your flask in your pocket. keeps the whiskey warm, which is best.

side note, and relevant - tested out the Salomon boots Sunday. submerged ankle/calf deep on multiple occasions, came away bone dry. and, the tread pattern on the soles did a great job gripping the pins on my flats; didn't have any issues with slipping.
    Last edited by jimithng23; 10-17-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    nah...just carry your flask in your pocket. keeps the whiskey warm, which is best.

side note, and relevant - tested out the Salomon boots Sunday. submerged ankle/calf deep on multiple occasions, came away bone dry. and, the tread pattern on the soles did a great job gripping the pins on my flats; didn't have any issues with slipping.
    I will have to look for a good pair of used boots. I'd like the Wolvhammers, but money.

Keen Brixens FTMFW.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Got a pair of Keen Summit County III boots. Love them. Can't wait to trudge around in the snow in them.

North Face 'Vostok' boot is what I'm currently looking at. If you have smaller feet you could score a pair for 60 clams here > http://www.journeys.com/product.aspx?id=194058

It's all about the layers...I wear about four or five tops with the outer being a wind, waterproof jacket and three pairs of pants with the outer being wind proof...I wish I had some that let your knees bend easier...Note: If you don't get bike pants, be sure they don't have slippery ass, unless you add velcro to the ass and bike seat...I have Lake 303 boots...they are only good to about freezing temps at which after forty plus miles I cant feel my toes and they run narrow...I bought tons of different gloves and found that bar mitts are the best investment ever...I wear a balaclava and a helmet cover for my head...along with a neck cover...glasses help your eyes from freezing open and keep those cute little snow flakes from stabbing them...Note: Strip as soon as you get to your watering hole as you will sweat like a Plumber's crack on a hot summer day...