Thread: Optimal Tire Pressure for Fat Bike Trails Usage?

Default Optimal Tire Pressure for Fat Bike Trails Usage?

I'm currently running 8-9psi, but I haven't had it on the trails much. I'm going to race the fatbike class at Farmdale, what is the best tire pressure for trail riding? I'm 235# running Larry and Nate...

I've found ~8psi works best. I am riding Knard/Knard.

If you haven't gone tubeless yet, I'd reccomend it as my tires seem to hook up on the dirt better and the other obvious reasons. (Punctures)

I just heard about the fat bike class at Farmdale. Awesome idea, I'm in.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    I've found ~8psi works best. I am riding Knard/Knard.

If you haven't gone tubeless yet, I'd reccomend it as my tires seem to hook up on the dirt better and the other obvious reasons. (Punctures)

I just heard about the fat bike class at Farmdale. Awesome idea, I'm in.
    It should be fun. I can't improve my ranking in the IHRS so I'm going for the funs.

How did you set up tubeless? I just went tubeless on my Voodoo and it was kind of a pain. I used Cafelatex at first and added Stan's to seal... neither would work for me on their own.

I used basically the same method that Matthew Jarret (Bloomington) blogged about. I can provide a link tomorrow, but he did post it in the fat bike forum on mtbr (under a tubeless thread). If you can't find it I'll dig for it tomorrow when I'm at a computer.

Gorilla tape, valve, Stan's and a compressor are about all you'll need.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by jJohnson View Post
    It should be fun. I can't improve my ranking in the IHRS so I'm going for the funs.

How did you set up tubeless? I just went tubeless on my Voodoo and it was kind of a pain. I used Cafelatex at first and added Stan's to seal... neither would work for me on their own.
    Piece of advice: Throw away the CafeLatex.

Unless of course you enjoy going through the trouble of setting it up Tubeless, only to continue getting flats. Then keep it.

I ran it for a while, and also tried the Bontrager SuperJuice. Both crap.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Piece of advice: Throw away the CafeLatex.

Unless of course you enjoy going through the trouble of setting it up Tubeless, only to continue getting flats. Then keep it.

I ran it for a while, and also tried the Bontrager SuperJuice. Both crap.
    I wanted to try something different than Stan's, but you're right. I blame it on my Pacenti tires, though. The sealant was seeping out of the sidewalls where words were stitched. I used Stan's solely in the rear and it didn't seal either, so I added Cafelatex because it expands. It worked. May try different tires next season now that there's decent variety of 650b tires, if I keep this bike. Cleaning the mess of mixed sealants will not be fun.

Thanks! I'll give it a go after I restock on Stan's.

I tried cafelatex too because I wanted to "try something different other than Stans."

Poor choice.

Punctured the center of the tread on an urban, cafelatex speweed everywhere - all over my bike and my legs. I still, to this day, cannot remove most of the dried crap from my Niner... PISSED me off!

Stan's. There is no other sealant.

...although, I've heard of some homebrew that's worked really well. Bruce @ HH has a recipe he may share if you're interested.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    I tried cafelatex too because I wanted to "try something different other than Stans."

Poor choice.

Punctured the center of the tread on an urban, cafelatex speweed everywhere - all over my bike and my legs. I still, to this day, cannot remove most of the dried crap from my Niner... PISSED me off!

Stan's. There is no other sealant.

...although, I've heard of some homebrew that's worked really well. Bruce @ HH has a recipe he may share if you're interested.
    The video online made it look so easy... and it's Euro and I'm a sucker for Euro things. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be much of a salesman if I didn't have hands-on experience with different items.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

The new Bontrager sealant works pretty darn good, albeit I had zero issues with Stan's. latex with small mica particles as a binder. Watched it do its work on a road tubeless setup today. The old superjuice was terrible. That's all I'll say about that.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkn1 View Post
    The new Bontrager sealant works pretty darn good, albeit I had zero issues with Stan's. latex with small mica particles as a binder. Watched it do its work on a road tubeless setup today. The old superjuice was terrible. That's all I'll say about that.
    The stuff I used was their old one. I didn't realize they changed it up, did they do what WTB did and just relabeled Stans?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkn1 View Post
    The stuff I used was their old one. I didn't realize they changed it up, did they do what WTB did and just relabeled Stans?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    My biggest pet-peeve about the bicycle industry.