Thread: Cutting the knobs off your tires

Default Cutting the knobs off your tires

I recently saw a clip of a video where it showed a closeup of a rider using wire cutters to cut the knobs on his DH tires.

I couldn't tell if he was cutting key ones off or putting an edge or point on them. My first thought was that he was angling them or putting a point on them for better traction, but I'm not sure. Maybe he was creating a pattern for the soil of the day...I don't know.

Does anyone know anything about this technique?
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

Sounds like he should have bought a different tire...
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Oh yeah, I know that technique! It's called being stupid! If you really think that you can do better than the engineers who spend countless hours creating and testing the effectiveness of the tread pattern than you should probably buy from a different company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Actually siping can be effective to some degree. Small slices in the tread blocks creates more edge. more edge equals more bite equals more traction. Thats the theory anyway... some newer tires actually have some siping already done to them. I was jst looking at my nevegals on the demo and they have some in the tread blocks. makes me wanna pull out the razor knife and have some fun. no, not really.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?