Thread: Why Clipless

Default Why Clipless

I've been told by many people to go clipless, but never really had anyone explain why. Before I forget, here it is-- power and balance.

Pedaling power is much greater. I am cruising at 3-5 mph over hills that I recently would barely make it to the top on at 1 mph. Think of an old steam engine. You know how the rod is turning the wheel all the way around, that is how you pedal. Your leg turns the pedal all the way around.

My balance has also improved greatly in a short time. If you know Sunderbruch, there is a 1/4 mile stretch of grass at the top with a well worn path. I was always bouncing off the walls of this rut. Now I actually can ride in the center.

It's also nice to be able lift the bike with your feet and not worry about if your going to land on your pedals or not, but is sucks being stuck to the bike in a crash.

I still don't understand why it's called "clipless" when you are "clipped in."

If you've been thinking about the transition, it is well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole'72 View Post
    I still don't understand why it's called "clipless" when you are "clipped in."
    Back in the day (or today, if you run with the hipster fixie crowd), platform pedals could be outfitted with cages with straps to help attach the foot more securely to the pedal - toe clips. New integrated shoe/pedal attachments developed in the 70's eliminated the toe clips and became "clipless", which is definitely confusing since they're obviously more "clips" than the old toe clips were.

Welcome to the development of the English language...

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Sunderbruch

By using clipless pedals/shoes, you'll gain a powerfull mechanical advantage and your feet will be in the optimal riding position every time.

When you use a clipless system, you have the ability to pull your pedal stroke back up instead of just pushing down when using flat pedals. This helps is all kinds of situations like climbing and going fast!

In addition, when using flat pedals, what do your heals do everytime you pedal? They drop right? With a clipless system, the majority of shoes out there consist of a rigid sole so when you pedal your heel stays horizontal with whatever angle your pedal is. This all points back to power and efficiency.

Obvious disadvantage include:
    -Falling becaue you can't unclip

Kings

maybe next year

A lot of great reasons to go clipless but people walk funny with those clipless shoes on.

I still rather have crupi squares:D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Byke Dood View Post
    A lot of great reasons to go clipless but people walk funny with those clipless shoes on.
    you're not walking while you're riding your bike

Board Position
    Vice President

for people who say its hard to get uncliped when you crash. STOP Crashing!!1
    or look at it this way, you are already crashing clips or not your gonna get hurt at least youll look cool doin it.
    everything kings says was right too!

unless you are planning to huck some major drops or burn up a downhill clips are better since you maintain the most efficient foot position on the pedal. also on cornering your foot/pedal won't drop and smash into the ground causing a wicked and stupid crash. you will gain confidence on technical sections because of your newfound balance and power. another plus is the shoes are velcro. astronauts use vecro. this means you are riding on the same level as a freakin astronaut, which is obviously awesome.

Board Position
    Vice President

nuff said