Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Midwest Mountain Bike Summit

Default 2009 Midwest Mountain Bike Summit

The Western Chapter of the Michigan Mountain Bike Association(WMMBA) is pleased to host the 9th Annual Midwest Mountain Bike Summit. The Summit will take place on May 29-31, 2009 at the Cannonsburg Ski Area in Grand Rapids, MI. The three-day Summit will provide educational and networking opportunities to over three hundred mountain bicyclists, trail builders and advocates from across the Midwest. The Summit will focus on all aspects of mountain bike advocacy, with an emphasis on promoting and developing urban trail systems called gateway trails.

On Friday May 29, 2009, the Summit will begin with a Club-Care presentation led by Kelly and Colin Bishop of the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA). Throughout the rest of the day, attendees will participate in workshops and seminars focusing on all aspects of mountain bike advocacy. Attendees then can look forward to a hands-on technical trail building demonstrations on Saturday morning with a "festival" atmosphere to follow later that day. To finish the Summit, Sunday will feature an Epic Ride that will expose riders to every kind of surface you can ride a bike on (dirt, roads and paved trails).
    Additional information can be found on the website: midwestmtbsummit.com

Nate, thanks for posting! So, who's planning to check out Grand Rapids? John and I plan to go. Our emphasis, surprisingly, will be on riding sweet singletrack, drinking BEER, and socializing with other knobbies.

I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

It is on my calendar!!

Check out this skinny at one of their parks up there:

http://www.qcforc.org/gallery/showph...oto=46&cat=500

And, check out Edwards Creek trail:
    http://midwestmtbsummit.com/main/ind...d=16&Itemid=26

Looks like fun!!
    Last edited by Bexter; 12-11-2008 at 06:53 AM.
    I wanna ride!

i looked up some info on edwards crekk myself. damn it looks sweet. the wooden bridges and skinnies. awesome. we need to figure a way to get some trail features like these around the good ole quads.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

FORCers, I have been corresponding with the Michigan folks abut their Summit to 1) support their efforts, and 2) to start planning our Fest for 2011 and 12. Hats off to the Michigan crew! We sent them $100 to support their efforts and while that monetary amount is a drop in the bucket regarding the cost of putting on a weekend event, they have bent over backwards to help us. I told them that we are wondering when best to host the Fest once it gets to us (May sometime, maybe Memorial Day weekend to make the weekend a biking weekend -- the criterium is on Monday, or maybe not be close to Memorial Day weekend, etc.). I asked whether they would be willing to post that we are hosting the Fest in 2011 and 12, and I asked them to put a poll on their registration forms and their website asking potential attendees of our 2011/12 Fest when they would prefer our Fest be held. Having a mechanism to see what people think would be hugely helpful to our planning process.

Here is the text from a recent email from Nate at the MMBA Western Chapter whcih gives you an idea how terrific the Michigan group is:

We held a fall festival fund raiser for the Summit last weekend and are starting to roll out chapter activities next weekend. The busy season is upon us.

Anyhow I believe I was able to have the FORC logo added to the Dirt Rag ad we will submit on Monday for the April issue.

We are listing the club as a corporate sponsor and that should pop up on the website shortly. I have to meet with the web guy in the next week or so and will have the poll added to the top of to do list to coincide with the next national press release.

More updates as I have them. Peace.

Bex
    Last edited by Bexter; 02-14-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    I wanna ride!

Nice work, Bexter!

Great Job Bexter!!
    No better publicity than putting FORC's name out in front of a gathering of our drunk, smiling brethren. A good way to plant the seed early. Those Western Michiganers sound like pretty cool folks.Thanks for all you do!
    peace
    mp & db

FORCers, check out our logo on their "Corporate Sponsor" page (they are being very generous to us given the meager contribution we sent them):

http://midwestmtbsummit.com/main/ind...d=14&Itemid=27
    I wanna ride!

:banana:

11. Talking Check out these videos of the summit location

Hey guys, Thomas from Michigan here. (side note, check out the youth biking program we run here for the kids: www.mibike.org )

I noticed you talking about how sweet Edwards Creek is... That trail is pretty awesome, but overall it's a fairly easy roll... with some cool obstacles throughout. Definitely a trail to check out while you are here.

BUT. The location of the Summit Festival day is at a place called Cannonsburg Ski Area. The local crazies have built a really awesome skills park if you like that sort of stuff.... The actual location of the Summit festival... where all the fun will go down, features a very sweet, tight, rolling single track... XC... but it also features a skills area that has been very well built.

To get an idea, check out the videos I just added to the site:

http://midwestmtbsummit.com/main/ind...d=21&Itemid=34

We also added your poll to the FAQ area... just in time for the release of the new dirt rag. (mine arrived in the mail today) I think it will get some good attention being that the summit is going to be an official stop on the Dirt Rag World Tour 2009.

So some very cool developments.

I'm looking forward to 2011... what do your trails look like?

P.S. Summit ad featuring FORC logo printed in Dirt Rag on page 85 - Issue 141

Peace!

Thomas, thank you! We saw the FORC logo on your Summit ad in Dirt Rag. That is Saweeeeeeet!!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! And, thanks for getting the poll running. That will give us some guidance as we plan our event for 2011.

I think quite a number of us are psyched to head up to the Summit and a number of folks down in Peoria (PAMBA) are also planning to road-trip with us.

Your trail systems look lot lots of fun!

Our trails, you ask? We have three trails with a 4th one on the way hopefully. Check out the "Our Trails" link up above for descriptions of our trails. We like the, of course, and most everyone who visits likes them. But, you know how it is. Checking out a new trail system is always fun.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Summit!!
    I wanna ride!

Default updates

9th Annual Midwest Mountain Bike Summit
    May 28th-31st
    Grand Rapids, MI
    MidwestMTBSsummit.com

• The Welcome Reception, Comfort Suites North, 7.00pm- 10.00pm
    • Thursday, May 28, 2009:
    Network with Summit attendees over an evening of sustainably pastured roast pig from Crane Dance Farms and beverages from Founders and Arcadia Brewing. A pump track will be on site for the duration of the Summit.
    • The Velocity Advocacy Summit, Comfort Suites North, 7.30am- 4.30pm
    • Friday, May 29, 2009:
    Throughout the day attendees can participate in workshops and seminars focusing on all aspects of mountain bike advocacy, with an emphasis on promoting and developing urban trail systems called gateway trails.
    Friday’s schedule of presentations:
    * 9:00am - Club Care with Kelly and Collins Bishop from IMBA
    * 10:00am - The economic impact of mtb by Mike Dulin from KYMBA
    * 11:00am - Grantmaking from the grantmakers perspective by Milt Rohwer from the Frey Foundation
    * 12:00pm - Pizza Lunch
    * 1:00pm - Gateway trails by Ryan Schutz from IMBA
    * 1:30pm - IMBA trail school track #1 with Kelly and Collins Bishop from IMBA
    * 1:30pm - Gateway success story by Kevin Marley from CAMBRwest
    * 2:30pm - Building Coalitions by Ken Freestone from the West Michigan Strategic Alliance
    * 3:00pm - Working with City Planners, Commissioners, and Parks Department roundtable
    * 3:00pm - IMBA trail school track #2 with Kelly and Collins Bishop from IMBA
    * 4:00pm - Chainsaw school by Stihl
    *5:30pm - Head over to the Cannonsburg Ski Area
    • The Festival, Cannonsburg Ski Area 8.00am-10.00pm
    • Saturday,May 30, 2009:
    Saturday morning will feature hands–on trail building demonstrations with equipment from Ditchwitch, Trail armoring, Stihl chainsaw safety class, and trail layout with Kelly and Collins. Later in the day, the Summit will have a festival atmosphere, with demos from Trek, Fisher, Giant, and Specialized; organized rides on local trails, a downhill race, slalom, bike polo, derby, team time trial and music provided by the Sinners. Additionally, attendees may submit photographs and digital "YouTube" style videos shot during the Summit with prizes being awarded to the top submissions on Sunday afternoon.
    Schedule of Saturday’s clinics:
    * 8:00am - Using chainsaws on common trailday applications
    * 8:00am - Mechanical trailbuilding with Stihl yardboss and a Ditchwitch Sk-600
    * 9:30am - Trail Layout with Kelly and Collins Bishop of IMBA
    * 9:30am - Using chainsaws on common trailday applications
    * 11:00am - Trail Armoring with Mike Dunston from GORC
    * 11:00am - Mechanical trailbuilding with Stihl yardboss and a Ditchwitch Sk-600
    *Noon the midway officially opens and the festival starts
    • The Dirt Rag Epic Ride, Cannonsburg Ski Area 10.00m-3.00pm
    • Sunday, May 31st:
    Sunday, May 31, 2009: Sunday's big event is the organized epic ride. Attendees will cover 3 different trail systems, every kind of surface you can ride a bike on (dirt, roads, and paved trails), and over 40 miles of riding. There will be aid stations along the way to fuel-up, as well as optional stops at local watering holes for refreshments. Shorter ride options will also be available.

Default Last Day to register for Summit before price increase!!!!

Hey everyone, today is the last day to register for the Summit before the price increase by $10 a person on May 1st. Right now, it's $35 a person and you get a couple meals on Thursday and Friday as well as a T-shirt. Not sure if camping is included in that price. Here's the registration page.

http://midwestmtbsummit.com/main/ind...d=16&Itemid=30

John and I won't get up there til Friday afternoon, so we'll miss the meals and advocacy thing.

And, check out the FORC poll on their website: http://midwestmtbsummit.com/main/ind...d=15&Itemid=32. The Michigan dudes were kind enough to post this poll on their website for us so we could get feedback from potential attendees of OUR 2011 Fest as far as their opinion about a preferred time of year for us to host ours.
    I wanna ride!

From what I could tell it looks like camping is $7/per night/per person and not included in registration, cash or check only. Not sure if you need to make reservations with the campground ahead of time. I'm in, I still have yet to figure out how or when I'm coming up. If anyone is swinging through chicago on their way and have room for me and my bike let me know, otherwise I'll borrow my ma's car :).

Yo! Yo! Yo!

So, who all is going to the Summit?
    I wanna ride!

Gunchie and Matt are in.

For those who plan to camp, you need to fill out the registration form and send in your money in advance to guarantee a spot (though they did say that they don't expect that they will run out of room). Here's the form:
    http://www.michcampgrounds.com/grand...index_mwmb.php

$7 a day per tent.
    I wanna ride!

Default It's Almost Here!

IMBA is coming to Grand Rapids, MI, May 28-31, and you're invited to join us at the Midwest Mountain Bike Advocacy Summit. Kelly and Collins Bishop of the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew are teaming up with the Michigan Mountain Biking Association Western Chapter for a weekend dedicated to trails and advocacy education, networking and, of course, lots of fun riding!
    You are receiving this email as an IMBA member or contact. Help us get the word out. Please use the "Tell a friend" button below to send this invitation to other area mountain bikers, land managers and trail users. The more the merrier!
    If this event is too far away for you to attend, we understand. We sent you this email to not just invite you but also let you know about the important work IMBA is doing in your area.

Schedule:

Thursday
    Time: 7:00 PM

Description: Network with Summit attendees over an evening of sustainable pastured roast pig from Crane Dance Farms and beverages from Founders and Arcadia Brewing. A pump track will be on site for the duration of the Summit.
    Friday

Time: 9:00 AM
    Description: The day will begin with the Club Care workshop led by Kelly and Collins Bishop from IMBA. Throughout the rest of the day, attendees can participate in workshops and seminars focusing on all aspects of mountain bike advocacy, with an emphasis on promoting and developing urban trail systems called gateway trails. Nationally and regionally known presenters will lead discussion on topics such as, working with planners, developing skills areas, and grant writing. Also offered will be the IMBA trail school. The classroom session is on Friday, and the field layout session is on Saturday.

Schedule of Presentations:

9:00: Club care with Kelly and Collins Bishop of IMBA
    10:00: The economic impact of mountain biking by Mike Dulin of KYMBA
    11:00: Grantmaking from the grantmakers perspective by Milt Rohwer of the Frey Foundation
    12:00: Pizza Lunch from Jets Pizza
    1:00 PM: Gateway trails by Ryan Schutz of IMBA
    1:30: IMBA trail school track #1
    1:30: Gateway success story by Kevin Marley of CAMBRwest
    2:30: Building coalitions by Ken Freestone of the West Michigan Strategic Alliance
    3:00: Working with City Planners, Commissioners, and Parks Department roundtable with reps from the City of Grand Rapids
    3:00: IMBA trail school track #2
    4:00: Chainsaw school by Stihl
    5:30: Adjourn to the Cannonsburg Ski Area

Saturday
    Time: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
    Description: Saturday morning will feature hands-on technical trail building demonstrations and trail layout with IMBA. Later in the day, the Summit will have a festival atmosphere, with food, demos, and organized rides on local trails, a raffle, and music provided by local bands. Additionally, attendees may submit photographs and digital "YouTube" style videos shot during the Summit with prizes being awarded to the top submissions on Sunday afternoon.

Schedule of Morning Clinics:
    8:00: Using chainsaws on common trailday applications
    8:00: Mechanical trailbuilding with Stihl yardboss and a Ditchwitch Sk-600
    9:30: Trail Layout with Kelly and Collins Bishop of IMBA
    9:30: Using chainsaws on common trailday applications
    11:00: Trail Armoring with Mike Dunstan from GORC
    11:00: Mechanical trailbuilding with Stihl yardboss and a Ditchwitch Sk-600 Note: All clinics are limited to 10 people each

Sunday
    Time: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
    Description: Sunday's big event is the organized epic ride. Attendees will cover 3 different trail systems, every kind of surface you can ride a bike on (dirt, roads, and paved trails), and over 40 miles of riding. There will be aid stations along the way to fuel-up, as well as optional stops at local watering holes for refreshments. Shorter ride options will also be available.
    Please register online.
    I wanna ride!

The Summit is finally here! Some people are starting the drive to Grand Rapids Thursday night after work, others are leaving Friday morning.

Several of us are riding Yankee (South of Grand Rapids) late Friday afternoon. PM for my cell # if you want to join us, and we can coordinate Friday (John and I are driving up Friday and going straight to Yankee -- we won't know exactly what time our arrival will be depending on traffic, pit stops, etc.).

We are camping at the Grand Rogue Campground.
    I wanna ride!

The weekend is finally approaching!!!! The Grand Rapids weather forecast looks pretty decent. What are you waiting for? Now is the time! Pack your tent, bike, gear, cooler and hit the road! See you in Michigan!
    Last edited by Bexter; 05-28-2009 at 07:56 AM.
    I wanna ride!

Had a blast at the Summit, rode 4 different trail systems which were all really fun, wish we could have stayed longer! I won't mention the beer consumption...
    I wanna ride!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

And the star of the summit- THE TRAILS!! INCREDIBLE systems- ranks right up with the best I've ever ridden- the only thing I didn't like was that MOST of the obstacles were too big for me to try- NO JOKE!!

Rolling hills makes for trails without ups- FAST and flowy, did I mention FAST!! Like going down rock cut for miles and miles!! GREAT WEEKEND!!
    :burnout:

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Fast is right! It was even more fun doing it at night with no lights half way through and getting drunker by the minute since they had coolers of awesome Founders Microbrew! And all I broke was my carbon water bottle handler on one of my best over of the handlebar crashes to date! All you freeriders in the club missed out. There was some absolutely sick stuff! What a great time!

Hey, my first post on the FORC site :banana:

The GR area trails are top shelf. Been trying to spread that message for years but I have a feeling that the word will be getting out now!

And as always, spending time with the FORC crew reminds me that bike clubs should be FUN

Gawd, Lori & I need to move to the QC!