Thread: Replacing tires

Default Replacing tires

I'm new to this MTB home repair thing. I'm putting on new tires, Bontragers xdx on my trek fuel ex7. Having troubles, any advice?

I have had difficulty with an old set of conti's with kevlar beads. One side of the tire was always easier to get over the rim than the other. So, I'd put the difficult side on first, insert the tube filled slighty with air, and work the "easy" side on and around w/tire levers.

Don't know if that helps. If no, could you describe ur troubles more specifically?

Good luck
    Hollywood

I have about 6" of tire (in length) to try to get over the top of the rim. About .5-.75" just won't go over. I didn't know since they were new tires and tubeless if I was missing something. I'm not going tubeless, but they are tubeless ready tires. I'm a pretty large guy and thought I was strong enough to do this, guess not, lol.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Make sure the tire beads are in the deepest section of the rim, usually by the spoke holes, when you are trying to get the last section of tire to seat into the rim. To do this, pinch the tire beads together all the way around the rim with the tube in place. This should get them out of the bead seat in the rim and give you a little more "slack" in the tire to work with. Don't put too much air in the tube, just enough for it to hold its shape, or it can make it difficult to get the tire on the rim. If you are still having trouble, you may need to use a set of tire levers to pry the tire bead over the remaining lip of the rim.

Thanks guys. I will have to attempt it again when I find more time. I went and put the old ones back on so I can hopefully make it down to Sylvan Island tonight. I haven't met anybody yet and am relatively new to the area. My bike is my mode of transportation so without it, I'm a sitting duck!