Thread: Winter riding.

Default Winter riding.

New to the world of fatbikes. Can’t wait to crush some drifts this winter. Not fair of heart when it comes to cold weather. However, hiking vs. biking require ( I imagine) different apparel. Curious what everybody is wearing while they are riding the white stuff?

Thanks in advance
    Matthew

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Clothing will be similar to hiking but expect more wind (moving faster on a bike) and more sweating (usually working harder on a bike).

For really cold days (~20F), start with a base layer, another insulating layer, shell jacket/pants, good windproof gloves, wool socks, boots or insulated shoe covers, and a head covering. How much clothing to wear depends on the temperature/wind and how hard you're working. Something you'll have to try yourself to get dialed in.
    ⚒ Trails don't build themselves. ⚒

Every year I promise myself that I will try cycling with Tomasso in the winter, but every time I find a reason not to do it. I'm afraid that I will be very hot, and there is nothing I can do about it. And if I don't dress warm enough, I might get sick.
    Last edited by Lonnie; 04-30-2023 at 09:13 AM.

I have the same. But I sometimes force myself to ride in the winter. Winter riding is exciting, but it's important to dress appropriately to feel comfortable and stay warm at the same time. I try to dress in layers to keep warm and allow my body temperature to be adjusted as needed. I start with a wicking base layer, add an insulating layer and finish with a windproof and waterproof outer layer.
    It is better to wear a jacket with ventilation holes to regulate body temperature.
    You need gloves that are both windproof and waterproof.
    It is better to choose a hat that covers the ears so that the head does not freeze.