Thread: Davenport Dog Park Trails Meeting

Board Position
    Trail Steward - The Dog Park

Default Davenport Dog Park Trails Meeting

A quick update on the trail system behind the Marquette street dog park. I (Dan) met with the Davenport parks and rec board last week to discuss the trails and answer questions. It went very well, and they unanimously approved it. Next hurdle to climb will be Thursday October 4th at 6 pm, the parks director and alderman Mike Matson are holding a neighborhood meeting at 1200 East 46th street, (the last building on the north side of the 46th before it dead ends). Im assuming if there is going to be any resistance from the neighbors, it will be brought up here. I will be attending (and will see if I can get a few others from our group), but wanted to mention this to the FORC community at large. If anyone is interested and available, we'd love to see you out there to show support and help answer any questions (or calm any fears) from any of the neighbors living in that area.

Board Position

IMPORTANT UPDATE: I was originally told that the neighborhood meeting, which will be held thursday at 6 pm at 1200 e 46th st, will not be just a Q&A or chance for neighbors to voice their concerns, but that the city will be gauging the overall reaction of the people who show up. If they feel it's positive, they will forward it to the city council, if negative they will reject the proposal!

In other words, if you're available, please attend the meeting! I have it on good authority that there are a few neighbors who are resistant to it for no other reason than it means change, so let's not let the loud few stop a great trail system (like we've seen in the past with other biking proposals). Hope to see you there!

I first contacted FORC earlier this year to find out if anyone in the organization knew the individuals involved with creating an off road bike trail on City owned property without permission. This included cutting down trees and excavating dirt without concern for possible erosion problems or damage to trees by exposing roots. The debris created by cutting down trees was left in place creating an eyesore as well as a hazard and there is a substantial amount of overhead "widow makers" present in the woods. The FORC representative who responded told me the organization was not involved with the creation of this trail, the individual largely responsible for building it was not a member and at this time FORC is not interested in the creation of additional trails as it has enough to do with maintaining existing trails.

As a neighborhood resident I am interested in finding out why FORC now backs the proposal. I disagree with your assessment that my fellow neighbors are merely "resistant to change". For many years the area where the dog park is located was a large open space and without any public notice several years ago the dog park was installed. It has been a welcome addition to the neighborhood. The purpose of the public meeting, as with any public meeting is to determine if this is an appropriate use of the land. As an outdoor enthusiast myself who has hiked the trails on Sylvan Island I would hope the impact of a trail on a neighborhood and any questions residents had would have been taken into consideration before it was built. Questions and concerns residents have concerning the proposed trail system on Marquette Street should be met with similar respect and not disdain.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Hi Susan, I was the one who communicated with you earlier in the year. FORC chose to get behind the project after we were better informed about the resources required to create trails on the property. Previous communications were from a position of little/no information about the park and what may be possible. After having a few of our our senior trail builders survey the park for trail suitability, take a closer look into what would be required, and securing new volunteers specifically for the project it eased our initial concerns of not having the resources to tackle it properly and it's potential value to the immediate area.

We're definitely not against public input. Perhaps you could enlighten us about the concerns with the proposal? We'd be happy to address them here as well as at the meeting on Thursday.

Similar to the dog park becoming a welcome addition to the neighborhood we think a system of natural surface hiking/biking trails would quickly garner the same sentiment. This has been our experience with past trail projects.

As a member of FORC for nearly 20 years, I offer my humble opinion.

The Friends of Off Road Cycling (FORC) have always worked in cooperation with the land managers and concerned citizens in building environmentally sustainable hiking & biking trails throughout our community. The, entirely volunteer, members of FORC have contributed thousands of hours to gaining approval, planning, building and then maintaining 8 trails systems in the QC area. Sylvan Island, Sunderbruch Park and Scott County Park among them. When approached with a proposal from a small crew of riders interested in building a new trail system, FORC points them in the right direction. How to proceed to get permission from the land manager, and support for the proposal. FORC provides direction in proper trail building techniques, based on the International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA) guidelines for creating safe & sustainable trails. FORC ensures that the system has a commitment for maintenance by a dedicated Trail Care Crew.
    Establishment of a hiking/biking trail system in a neighborhood brings many beneficial aspects. It provides a safe and sustainable trail system for neighborhood kids and adults alike to enjoy and explore. Secondly it establishes the area as a controlled, visited and cared for recreation destination. As was discovered with the Sylvan Island Trail system, it reduces the likelihood of unwelcome and perhaps unsavory usage of the park. If families and outdoor enthusiasts are regularly using the trails it will deter the chances for the type of usage that may occur by folks doing things that they may want to remain unseen by the public. Another benefit is that the construction and maintenance of the system is free of charge to the city and its citizenry. I can’t imagine that a couple of miles of beautiful trails, built and cared for in the neighborhood would be anything but a welcome addition to the park many already enjoy. I’m sure the folks proposing the new trails and FORC will be able to respectfully answer any questions and ally any worries over a new, exciting and controlled use of this beloved park.
    Last edited by dirtboy; 10-03-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Board Position
    Vice President

where is this piece of land? veterans memorial park?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

NW Davenport: See Map

The individuals who built the trail initially certainly did not get off on the right foot when they did so without the City's permission, without concern as to how neighborhood residents felt about it and continued to cut down trees and excavate dirt even when ordered by police and told by the 7th Ward Alderman to cease all activity. Given this cavalier attitude I am concerned whether this core group can abide by the rules and not ride on the trails when they are closed, share the trails with walkers and respect the privacy of the residents whose homes back up to the wooded area north of the dog park. I am not in a position to speak on the concerns of my fellow residents and I believe the appropriate chain of events is to hear what is being proposed. For all I know many or all questions might be answered in the presentation. I appreciate your communications with me and as I said previously all the work your volunteers have done to create trail systems in our area.

Regards,
    Susan McPeters

Board Position

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who showed up to the meeting, you guys did a tremendous job representing FORC and explaining to the community the many benefits of this trail! The meeting went well and we will be working with the parks department hammering out the details of this proposal before forwarding it over to the city council for final approval. In the meantime, would everyone take a moment to fill out a quick survey that the parks department is taking on this project?

www.Surveymonkey.com/r/XRCMXZN

Thanks again!