Thread: Recommendation Needed

Default Recommendation Needed

Whats the best place in the QC to get a good steak? Ive had a hankerin for a good piece of meat lately, and still really dont know many of the places in the QC.

Mucho Gracias

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

If you are looking for a good steak and atmosphere is not important I would suggest Tappas Steak House on Rockingham in Davenport.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by ew_perry View Post
    If you are looking for a good steak and atmosphere is not important I would suggest Tappas Steak House on Rockingham in Davenport.
    I have heard that place is good and Ive wanted to check it out since I live close to it (I actually went to go there last Sunday, but theyre closed on Sunday), but I need a place with a decent atmosphere, since Im taking the in-laws out also. Anybody hear or eat at Sippins right on West 2nd St.? I heard Johnny Italian Steakhouse was nice, but maybe a little to high class for my taste (or am did I hear wrong?). I guess what Im looking for is place where you dont need to be dressed up, but has great meat and I dont mind paying the $$$, I just dont want to dress up for some high class place just to eat a steak. Also as a bonus, it would be fanastic if they had a good selection of beer

I think that Texas Road House is a great steak place.
    You might want to check that out.
    Becky
    AKA.. SASS

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I have heard that place is good and Ive wanted to check it out since I live close to it (I actually went to go there last Sunday, but theyre closed on Sunday), but I need a place with a decent atmosphere, since Im taking the in-laws out also. Anybody hear or eat at Sippins right on West 2nd St.? I heard Johnny Italian Steakhouse was nice, but maybe a little to high class for my taste (or am did I hear wrong?). I guess what Im looking for is place where you dont need to be dressed up, but has great meat and I dont mind paying the $$$, I just dont want to dress up for some high class place just to eat a steak. Also as a bonus, it would be fanastic if they had a good selection of beer
    Sippis is a pretty nice little place, great patio too if you are interested in sitting outside.

Johnny's Italian Steak House is very good, great casual atmosphere and great service. There is also Texas Roadhouse up on 53rd street.

Two places that I've heard are great, but I've never been is Sneaky Pete's and Steventons. Both are in Leclaire.

both the leclaire destinations are on the higher side. steventons is outta control.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

this thread is making my mouth water......

In my opinion, it all depends on what your favorite cut of beef is and how you like it cooked. Personally, if I'm going out for a steak I like to go to a place where I can cook it myself, like Northwoods in Bettendorf or The Lodge in Port Byron. I love the atmosphere at these places where everyone can stand around the grill, beer in hand, and all take part in preparing the meal. Plus they have sliced french loaf and buckets of butter...combined with some garlic salt and you've got yourself a tasty appetizer while waiting for the meat to cook!

If I am feeling a bit lazy, or for the most special occasions, I prefer the filet mignon or ribeye at Woodfire Grill in Downtown Davenport. The restaurant has an open floor plan for an inviting and intimate atmosphere. Not quite high scale dining, but you will pay $30+ for the filet mignon (worth every penny if you ask me).

Au Jus in Milan, a recently opened steakhouse, is very good. The head chef from Bud's Skyline Inn in Moline (they make a good steak too) opened this joint up and the guy really knows how to cook a steak. Their salad bar is included with your steak, along with your choice of 2 sides, making the price of the entire dinner very reasonable for the large amount of food you will eat.

....I cannot speak to Steventon's other than what I've heard from friends - all very, very good things - with a pretty high price tag. I've never been inside Sneaky Pete's but I have had their burgers at an event they catered - amazing! Nothing but good things have I heard about Sneaky Pete's as well.

Johnny's Steak House is not for me - I tend to stay away from chain restaurants when it comes to steak...much like many Forc'ers prefer good microbrew....that's not saying that Johnny's doesn't have a good steak. Their parmesan-crusted new york strip with crumbled bleu cheese is pretty dang good, but just not my thing.

I like Texas Roadhouse when with larger groups. More of a light atmosphere, plus Forcers really like to throw peanuts around which always makes for a good time. Add to that some really good ****tails - Long Islands & Marg's - and you've got yourself a pretty entertaining dining experience.

As you can see "just a steak" is not in my vocabulary. Call me pretentious, call me a steak snob, call me whatever you want but I love a great choice cut of beef and the worst thing that can ever happen is having someone you don't trust cook it and ruin the rest of your night....Ideally, I would invite my in-laws to my house and cook our steaks myself.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post

In my opinion, it all depends on what your favorite cut of beef is and how you like it cooked. Personally, if I'm going out for a steak I like to go to a place where I can cook it myself, like Northwoods in Bettendorf or The Lodge in Port Byron. I love the atmosphere at these places where everyone can stand around the grill, beer in hand, and all take part in preparing the meal. Plus they have sliced french loaf and buckets of butter...combined with some garlic salt and you've got yourself a tasty appetizer while waiting for the meat to cook!

If I am feeling a bit lazy, or for the most special occasions, I prefer the filet mignon or ribeye at Woodfire Grill in Downtown Davenport. The restaurant has an open floor plan for an inviting and intimate atmosphere. Not quite high scale dining, but you will pay $30+ for the filet mignon (worth every penny if you ask me).

Au Jus in Milan, a recently opened steakhouse, is very good. The head chef from Bud's Skyline Inn in Moline (they make a good steak too) opened this joint up and the guy really knows how to cook a steak. Their salad bar is included with your steak, along with your choice of 2 sides, making the price of the entire dinner very reasonable for the large amount of food you will eat.

....I cannot speak to Steventon's other than what I've heard from friends - all very, very good things - with a pretty high price tag. I've never been inside Sneaky Pete's but I have had their burgers at an event they catered - amazing! Nothing but good things have I heard about Sneaky Pete's as well.

Johnny's Steak House is not for me - I tend to stay away from chain restaurants when it comes to steak...much like many Forc'ers prefer good microbrew....that's not saying that Johnny's doesn't have a good steak. Their parmesan-crusted new york strip with crumbled bleu cheese is pretty dang good, but just not my thing.

I like Texas Roadhouse when with larger groups. More of a light atmosphere, plus Forcers really like to throw peanuts around which always makes for a good time. Add to that some really good ****tails - Long Islands & Marg's - and you've got yourself a pretty entertaining dining experience.

As you can see "just a steak" is not in my vocabulary. Call me pretentious, call me a steak snob, call me whatever you want but I love a great choice cut of beef and the worst thing that can ever happen is having someone you don't trust cook it and ruin the rest of your night....Ideally, I would invite my in-laws to my house and cook our steaks myself.

Hope that helps!
    Awsome write-up, thanks

that sounds like an invitation for steak at your house!

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post

Hope that helps!

Somewhere between over the handlebars and the nearest brewpub

The Outback Special at Outback is one of my faves.
    SPLASH
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, went to Woodfire Grill in Downtown Davenport. Awsome food I got the Pork Shank and it was unreal, melted in your mouth. Along with some Portabella fries and a couple Weihenstephaner hefe weiss beers , all n' all an awsome dinner, thanks for the suggestion jimithng

great choice and glad to hear you enjoyed yourself!