Thread: Sylvan Island

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sylvan Island

When are you going to be working down on Sylvan Island again

Looks like the Dec. 6th bridge opening date may not happen. I spoke to the City today and they may still be 2 weeks out. They said they would check in with the construction company next week for an update. Either way, it's close! Stay tuned!
    I wanna ride!

I called the City for an update earlier today but wasn't able to get in contact with anyone, and I haven't received a call back. The last we spoke (last week), the construction wasn't going to be done by Dec. 6th. Assuming that remains the case. Will post when I receive updated information.
    I wanna ride!

The City called back (they've been AWESOME with their communication and coordination)! A bit more work must be completed, so no opening on Dec. 6th. However, depending on weather and progress, the City said the bridge MAY be open by the end of next week (not guaranteed and no promises). They're getting there. This is beyond exciting and I think one of the BEST Christmas gifts our community could ever receive!
    I wanna ride!

What is the latest on Sylvan? I threw on a hard hat and talked to a couple guys in the construction area last week who thought they may not tear down the fence until spring, just so they can plant grass seed. They were random laborers who may not know anything but it had me worried. They also mentioned a concern over gaps between the bridge steel and the concrete walls on either side. The gaps are big enough for a person to fit through so they doubted the city would allow access to the island until those were closed off. Hopefully they jump on that! I've never been on the island and can't wait.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

There was an article in the Times about it Wed.: Safety precautions delay opening of Sylvan Island bridge
    ⚒ Trails don't build themselves. ⚒

Parts for the fix were scheduled to be shipped Tuesday, said Hott, who added they will be placed into position “sooner rather than later."
    Good news! Thanks

Sylvan Island ribbon-cutting ceremony and BRIDGE OPENING is tomorrow -- Thursday 12/21/17 at 11 AM. A few of us lucky enough to get the afternoon off from work will be riding after the ribbon cutting. Talk about a terrific Christmas present to the community! I imagine the island will be a flurry of walkers and bikers this weekend! Hope to see you there!
    I wanna ride!