Thread: What Tires Are You Using?

Default What Tires Are You Using?

Hey everyone... I'm just wondering what tires people have found to work the best when doing Abermination and other local xc races. I did Palos over the summer and had plenty of traction, but both front and rear were pretty hefty tires. I'm looking at Maxxis Ardent Race, Maxxis Aspen, Racing Ralph, and maybe something from the new Michelin line up like the Force XC.

I'm on a 29er with around 23mm internal width, if I remember correctly.

Any thoughts are welcome.

-Nick

I'm about the least picky rider around, so take my opinion with a grain of salt...but I've been very happy with my Bontrager XR2's the last two seasons. Good balance between a fast roller & mega gripper. They are 29x2.35 & my rims are probably in the 21mm internal ballpark (Giant SXC2's from 2011...told you I wasn't picky).

My previous setup was Specialized Ground Control 29x2.3 up front & Fast Track 29x2.2 in back. I am a fan of the better rear end traction (that's what she said) of the XR2.

Interesting. Have you tried the xr3? I have some xr3 on a set of wheels right now, but I haven't tried them since the weather got wet.

Xr2 xr3 combo was by far my favorite. XR2 wasnt cutting it as a front tire for me. Awesome back tire though.

XR3 put on the front and that was my combo till I got my 27.5+ bike. I used to switch tire brand or tread style each time I had to replace tires, but once I went the XR3/XR2 set up i just kept it.

My set up wasnt strictly racing, but to have a good set up for anywhere around here. I hate swapping around, just a all around set up and done lol.

I wouldnt be afraid to run full XR3, XR3 starts being a really fast roller with some miles on them to take the edge of center knobs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Maxxis Ignitors have been my tire of choice for a few years. I raced them a couple seasons in the 1.9" width but running 2.35s now. Pretty low rolling resistance for an aggressive tread pattern due to ramped center knobs, soft rubber compound that doesn't wear too quickly and grips well on hardpack and loose conditions, and stiffer edge knobs for corner stability. Never felt like these tires were holding me back when racing.
    ⚒ Trails don't build themselves. ⚒

I've been running Schwalbe tires for a few years now and they have been great. Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph are both great tires, they are light and have a lot of grip. I've run the NN up front and RR in the rear, or RR both front and rear. Came off of years on Maxxis Ardent or WTB Nano, definitely not looking back.

I'm surprised the Bontes are getting so much love here. I guess I need to give them a proper trial. Not today though. I'm going to try a Michelin Wild Racer on front and a Bonte Xr3 on the rear.

I think I'm going to have to add the Maxxis Ignitors to my list of tires to try. Are you using it on a 26 DH001? A brief search didn't find any 2.35 in 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by in.a.trance View Post
    I've run the NN up front and RR in the rear, or RR both front and rear.
    I will definitely concur with the NN being a solid rear tire. It climbs really well.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Quote Originally Posted by NCoulter View Post
    Are you using it on a 26 DH001? A brief search didn't find any 2.35 in 29er.
    Yep, still one of the 26er holdouts.
    ⚒ Trails don't build themselves. ⚒

Smart move. I see constant deals on 26" tires that are mindblowingly cheap.

I'm with Drew 26er forever! Mostly run Schwalbe tires Nobby Nic on my mountain bike and Jumbo Jim's on my fat bike.

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Will also agree, I have used 2.25 NN up front with a Racing Ralph in the rear most of this year and while it was fast rolling I didn't feel I had good traction for technical climbs and would spin out (like on LT) as I am not a strong climber. I moved my NN to the rear and threw on a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 up front and the traction has been a dream.

I totally agree with you. I have run HD and NN 2.35 combo exclusively this summer. While it isn't a super fast xc combo, the confidence from the traction is superb on the hard pack trails in this area.

We may have a consensus. I had the Nobby Nic/Hans Dampf combo on my 26 bike before I went 29er, and it was excellent. The HD has a lot of volume in the 2.35 size.

P.S. The Michelin Wild Race'r (front) and Bonte XR3 (rear) combo I tried was nothing short of heroic the past 2 days. The Michelin seems to hang onto everything in these condisions, and the bonte was easy to slide around through tight stuff.