Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dorrance Glulam Bridge Project Info

Thanks for the heads up for weekend planning. Do we need to cover the beams? If so I can help with tarp.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Thanks for the offer Jim, but they'll be fine uncovered. They are still sitting off the ground out of the mud.

Board Position

Sorry for the short notice. We are working this Saturday (3/4) starting at 10am. Plan is to move the beams across the creek and will need ~6 people to help (3 people confirmed already). If anyone has a 20' extension ladder, please bring it; ladder needed to set straps in a tree to lift the beams. The main gate will be closed but unlocked if you arrive late; please close it behind you. Meeting at the top of the fire road in the clearing, same place as last time, and will hike into the bridge site from there. Not sure where that is? Check out the map posted above from 2/18. Let me know if you're coming.

Will be out again on Sunday (3/5) to build a kiosk. Starting at 10am and meeting by the bathrooms. Only need 2-3 more people for this to help move lumber, dig post holes, and pour concrete. Gate will be closed but unlocked if you arrive late. I'll have the tools needed for doing the carpentry work but will need a wheelbarrow to mix concrete.

Board Position

Default Progress Update

Progress updates from the weekend:

Saturday we moved the beams across the ravine using ropes & hand winches. Still waiting for brackets to come back from galvanizing to put the beams in their proper, vertical, position. Won't be much longer until hand rails and decking start being installed.

Sunday we started building the kiosk. Finished setting posts and getting the cross-members fastened. Roof and display case coming soon.

The galvanized brackets are ready and I just picked them up in Rockford. I will get them to you today.

Board Position

Default Workday - Sunday 3/12 @ 11am

The south pier was finished this week and we are now ready to install the railing posts and get the beams mounted to the foundation.

I plan on working this Sunday (3/12) at 11am again. Meeting at the top of the fire road. Main gates will be closed but unlocked if you arrive late. We will need a corded drill (1/2" preferable) to make holes through the beams for mounting the railing posts; I have the necessary drill bits. The drilling will be done when the beams are still on their sides to make it easier. After that, the beams will be uprighted, placed in the brackets, and bolted into final position. A couple nylon webbing straps would be useful for lifting the beams.

Tools needed:
    - Wheelbarrow
    - 1/2" Corded Drill
    - Webbing Straps

Let me know if you can make it.

Board Position

Default Workday - Wednesday 3/22 @ 5:30pm

We got the beams installed Saturday in the upright position and bolted on hand rail posts.

Planning the next workday for Wed. evening (3/22) starting at 5:30pm. Meeting/parking in the upper clearing at the top of the fire road again (see this map). Gate will be closed but unlocked if you arrive late (close it behind you). 4-6 people should be plenty for what we need to do. Bring a headlight in case we have to hike out after sunset.

We will be framing the approach ramps, installing bracing between the beams, and cutting/installing decking.

Tools Needed:
    • Wheelbarrows (for hauling equipment to site)
    • Impact Drivers / Drills (corded or cordless)
    • Circular Saw

Board Position

Default Workday - Friday 3/24 @ 4:30pm

Workday:
    Planning another bridge workday on Friday (3/24). I'll be out at 4:30 but stop by whenever works for you; will work until daylight runs out (~7:45). Gate will be unlocked but closed and we are still parking at the top of the fire road. Rain is in the forecast so keep an eye on this thread for updates/cancellations. Probably won't be out this weekend due to rain.

Tools needed: Impact & drill drivers and a wheelbarrow for hauling tools to the site.

Progress Update:
    We started installing decking Wednesday and have enough cut to do the main span. Also started building the North approach ramp and are almost ready to anchor it in place. Finishing decking, railings, and building the South approach ramp are the big tasks left before the bridge is complete and it won't be long now.

Board Position

Default Upcoming Workdays

Upcoming Workdays:

Monday 3/27 @ 4:30 pm
    Tuesday 3/28 @ 4:30 pm (Moving to Tues. due to high chance of rain Mon.)
    • Finish south ramp framing
    • Finish decking (need to haul more to the site)
    • Complete dirt trail to approaches

Wednesday 3/29 @ 4:30 pm
    • Haul handrail lumber to bridge site
    • Attach handrails
    • Cleanup site

Tools:
    Will need a few more drill/impact drivers for both days. There will also be a generator on site if you have a corded drill or need to charge batteries.

~4 people for each day should be enough. Still parking at the top of the fire road. Same situation with the entrance gate as before.

Also, the mosquitoes were already swarming last week so bring bug repellent.
    Last edited by DH001; 03-26-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Board Position

Cancelling work on the bridge tonight due to rain. Saturday (4/1) is looking dry at the moment so I'm rescheduling for then. We'll start at 11am and work on installing bridge railings, cleaning up the site, and tweaking a few areas of trail that we didn't get completely finished last year. Bring a rogue hoe or shovel if you have one and/or a cordless drill/impact driver. I expect 5-6 people will be plenty to do what we need to do.

Board Position

Default It's Finished!

The final product!
    More images here.

Attached the railings over the weekend which means the bridge is officially finished! A big thank you is due to all the volunteers who helped with this project! We couldn't have done it without you.

Good news: the first loop is now rideable. Bad news: the trail still needs a while to dry out and more rain is coming this week... Watch the trail status app for condition updates. A grand opening event is also in the works and details will be coming soon.

Lastly, I'm planning a work day later this week (probably Friday evening) to finish cleaning up the bridge work site, fine tune a few areas of trail, and remove a handful downed trees. Keep an eye out for announcements if you want to help.

That looks great Drew. You folks did an awesome job to finish that beast. I shall enjoy pedaling across!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mtbkrman View Post
    That looks great Drew. You folks did an awesome job to finish that beast. I shall enjoy pedaling across!!
    Yes i agree thats is fine looking bridge. Now can you start on slyvan island bridge

Quote Originally Posted by mkh1972 View Post
    Yes i agree thats is fine looking bridge. Now can you start on slyvan island bridge
    Can't wait to ride it. Thanks Drew and Crew