We are almost ready to start building the large Glulam beams for the Dorrance bridge. All dirtwork on the first loop is now comple and we finished pouring the bridge footings a couple weeks ago. I'll be updating this topic with progress and announcements for the bridge project as we move forward. The main holdup right now is finding a place to build the beams so I'm throwing it out to anyone who might be able to help us here (see below).

• We need to find a large (working area of at least 38' x 15') heated shop area with power for this portion of the project. The structural epoxy adhesive used to glue the beams together can't be used below 50F. Doing the beam glue-up outside over the winter would require building a large temporary enclosure and heating it for +24 hrs (hopefully a last resort). It will probably take us 2-4 weeks to complete all three beams. It would be great if the location was close to the Port Byron area and on the IL side of the river to minimize hauling distance. PM me if you have a place in mind or are willing to lend us a space.
  • Once the beams are built, we'll also need a trailer/vehicle to haul them to the park. There are three 34' long beams weighing in at ~700lbs a piece.
  • I've found a route to haul the beams through the woods that is 700' from a road access point, downhill most of the way, and with minimal cross slope. At this point the plan is to use dollys or sleds to drag the beams from the trailer to the work site and then pick them up with ropes/rigging to fly them into position over the ravine.