Thread: BD Fatbike?

Default BD Fatbike?

So I'm just looking to see if anyone can help me out in the local area. I am hoping to pick up a Fatbike and keep on riding when the weather turns cold this season. Unfortunately I cant justify 2-4k on a bike that I have never really gotten any seat time on and therefore don't know if I'll actually enjoy riding. Lately I have been looking at Bikesdirect.com where they have a Bluto equipped, Aluminum framed fatbike for right around 1000 bucks.

So my question is does anyone in the area have one of these sub 1k bikes that I could possibly take a spin on or does anyone have a fatbike with a bluto fork they would be willing to let me try?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Stephen's Park

Specialized fatboy se ~$1500. You'll like it i was in the same boat. Glad I pulled the trigger. And glad I got a quality one not a pos from bikes direct.

Thanks for the heads up! I plan on trying out the demo at Illiniwek this weekend. How wide of a tire can you get on the Fatboy?

Board Position

Comes with 4.6" tires

Thank you! Also does anyone have any experience riding a Fatbike with a Rockshox Bluto front fork? Most of what I have read is that it makes a huge difference and makes riding in the summer much more enjoyable. But I'm also curious how the fork performs in the cold weather.

Board Position

Dunno about that but I put a thud buster seat post on my ridgid fat bike and that made me love it again!

I'll have to keep that in mind. Does anyone around here have a 9:ZERO:7 Whiteout that could put in their 0.02 on it. I'm liking the aluminum frame and it does have a much better component set than the BikesDirect builds.

I have a Specialized Fatboy posted under the For Sale thread for $1,100 if interested (size medium). Retailed for $1800, bought late last fall.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind! I was able to try one out this weekend at Illiniwek and I'm kinda thinking that Fatbikes don't really work with my style of riding... They are really cool but I believe I've managed to spoil myself a little too much on my 4" travel trail bike so going back to a full rigid bike just isn't enjoyable to me :( I think I'm going to see if anyone will let me borrow a bike and join them on a ride this winter to see if that changes my mind.